THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys. I have a question.

So I picked up a drum this afternoon. This whole time I was planning on picking up an open-head drum. When I got there, I realized that the drums there were closed-head. When I read through this thread, I never really planned on a closed head drum so I never sought out advice on removing it.

You should find another source for drums in your area.

Neighbor. :biggrin:

You should find another source for drums in your area.

Neighbor. :biggrin:

LOL

Its kinda funny. I was going to send you a PM and ask you were you got your drums at, but then I stumbled upon the one I picked up. So since I could not get an open-head drum, where do you get yours from. I see you have built a few.

I was also going to send you a pm because I was planning on ordering a thermometer from your website. Since we are so close, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just pick it up instead of having you ship it.

Let me know neighbor. :icon_cool

Door

I think you should have a door for those wiered and unscheduled events.
It should be the size of the largeste log you want to use.

Steve out:razz:

Ok, I have 2 UDS and I went real cheap and drilled 4 - 1" holes about 3" up from the bottom. I have an OK time with keeping the temp where I want it, but I was wondering if I can improve it by installing a valve? Also if the you think I should go with a valve, how hard would it be to do considering my current hole setup?

Ok, I have 2 UDS and I went real cheap and drilled 4 - 1" holes about 3" up from the bottom. I have an OK time with keeping the temp where I want it, but I was wondering if I can improve it by installing a valve? Also if the you think I should go with a valve, how hard would it be to do considering my current hole setup?
Matter of preference. Valve works for me. If they are clean 1" holes 3/4" nipples screw in and can be welded or locked in with conduit nuts. Someone didn't read whole thead. :cool:

Matter of preference. Valve works for me. If they are clean 1" holes 3/4" nipples screw in and can be welded or locked in with conduit nuts. Someone didn't read whole thead. :cool:

I realize I can easily put in a valve.... I should have been more specific. I would rather not put in 4 valves since I would never use that many. What do I do with the other holes is my question?

I realize I can easily put in a valve.... I should have been more specific. I would rather not put in 4 valves since I would never use that many. What do I do with the other holes is my question?
Close pipe nipples with caps. Valve partial and one cap off gets 250 ish for me. 2 caps off, partial valve gets 375 ish. Fine tune with valve. Make sense?

Work In Progress

I started on my UDS today, I cut 4 holes on the bottom and I have 4 - 10" 3/4 nipples ready to be welded in tomorrow, I also bought the expaned metal and will be making the basket as well.
I live too close to people so I went ahead and bought a weed burner and spent the better part of the evening stinking up the neighborhood. :twisted:
I bought a webber 22" grill and stainless steel bolts to hold it up.
so far so good. I'm hoping to cook on it this monday.
I know if there ain't a picture it didn't happen... here you go!

I will post more pics as I go along

Attachments

• UDS upside down.jpg
    UDS upside down.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,271
I ended up with an extra hole, think it was about an inch and an eighth.
Greenlee screwup Mod.
Ended up covering it up with a speaker magnet. Works great.

Close pipe nipples with caps. Valve partial and one cap off gets 250 ish for me. 2 caps off, partial valve gets 375 ish. Fine tune with valve. Make sense?

Nice weedburner. Will save some knuckle hair. Harbor Freights are too short.
attachment.php

Back