Italian Three Meat Pizza in the FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last night we decided to do a multi-meat pizza consisting of Italian meats and sausage, with homemade dough and sauce.

The dough recipe came from one of the brethren who shared with me that I’ve used quite successfully on my FrankenWeber pizza kettle. This time, I decided to alter the dough formula by substituting 25% Italian 00 Caputo flour to see how it would turn out.

First, I mixed up a batch of my homemade sauce, and after the sauce cooked for 20 mins, I let it cool.

Now it was time to prepare the dough. After weighing all the dough ingredients, everything went into the mixer:

IMG_5686.jpg

Our large gray cat, Purrd was very curious about the whole process:

IMG_5690.jpg

After the dough was mixed, we let it sit for 20 mins for the hydration phase. After it rested, we resumed mixing.

Next we formed the dough into two balls so they could rise for a few hours:

IMG_5693.jpg

After the dough had risen, I formed the balls into flat rounds and let them rest another 20 mins. This helped the dough to relax, and made for easier shaping.

IMG_5701.jpg

Then I cut up Cappicola and spicy Soppreseta into strips:

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

Meanwhile, time to fire up the FrankenWeber!

IMG_5702.jpg

After about 20 mins, the stone temp reached 650 degrees, so it was time to make pizza.

IMG_5709.jpg

In addition to whole milk mozzarella, I also added some sliced provolone. I then topped the pizza with the Cappicola, Soppresta, and sweet Italian Sausage.

IMG_5712.jpg

We slid the pizza into the kettle stone and let the FrankenWeber work its magic. About 1/2 way done:

IMG_5716.jpg

When the pizza was fully cooked, we pulled it off and slid the pizza on a pan:

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

Thanks for checking out my pizza!

if you want to learn more about the FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle, click HERE

Last edited:
The pizza looks awesome. Love your FrankenWeber. I never used caputo flour. Does it seem to make a big difference?

Pizza party! :hungry:

Looks fantastic - great combo of meats there. I've made a few batches of Italian sausage in the past, so if you want some, holler & I'll whip some up. I gotta get me a stone and get on the case. Thanks for posting!

Nice results.

How long did it take to cook the pie?

Love the FrankenWeber, is that a stone you're using on the rack?

Fantastic looking pizza Moose! Love the meat combo and your homemade sauce!:thumb::thumb:

Nice results.

How long did it take to cook the pie?

I was running at a lower temp, so it took six minutes. When I really crank the heat up like I have in the past, usually around 700-750, the pies take about 3 minutes or so.

Looks great, I love pizza cooked on the grill or whatever you have ! Nice fraken-grill-oven.

Fan Farkin' Tastic! I love your pizzas! :thumb::thumb: Ever do charcoal or lump in the Frankenweber? I was extremely surprised when I not only exceded the max temp on the dome's thermo but pegged it to it's max position. I really wonder how hot it was...

Thanks Moose.

I make a pretty good home made pie if I say so myself.

The Frankenweber is outstanding. I've already started looking for kettles on craigslist, the uglier, the better.

My wife is gonna kill me.

Fan Farkin' Tastic! I love your pizzas! :thumb::thumb: Ever do charcoal or lump in the Frankenweber? I was extremely surprised when I not only exceded the max temp on the dome's thermo but pegged it to it's max position. I really wonder how hot it was...

Guerry, not possible to use charcoal in my FrankenWeber. It has a large hole in the bottom where it sits over the propane burner! :shock:

A couple of brethren have made charcoal fired kettle ovens with good results, and I was considering that when I first started looking into this, but opted with propane as it's not only more convenient, but gives me a lot more control over temps. Short of dropping a few thousand dollars on a wood fired pizza oven, this is the next best thing, and a whole lot cheaper.

Pizza looks incredible! Nice work.

Do you actually fit the pie through that little hole in front of Frankie or do you lift the lid?

Pizza looks incredible! Nice work.

Do you actually fit the pie through that little hole in front of Frankie or do you lift the lid?

Nevermind...I found my answer that the hole is just to assist in even cooking of top of pie.

I'll take 5 slices and eat them all! Looking good.

Back