Green Chili Pork Stew on the Egg

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It's starting to cool in So Cal, Friday when I went to get my Flu shot it was 39* 7am. cold for here but not as cold as some of the country can get
DSC_0005-82.jpg

DSC_0010-66.jpg

DSC_0012-51.jpg

DSC_0014-46.jpg

I seared the Poblano and Jalapeno Peppers on Fri.
DSC_0006-76.jpg

DSC_00101JPG.jpg

The ingredients
DSC_0015-37.jpg

Four batches of pork shoulder simmered just to a white coating
DSC_0016-26.jpg

Onions and garlic until sweated
DSC_0020-20.jpg

Everything is in the DO
DSC_0025-13.jpg

Cooked at 275*+ for 2-hrs. with the lid off
DSC_0029-10.jpg

DSC_0031-7.jpg

Served with Jack Cheese and Corn Tortillas, Very nice on a cool evening

Ross

Recipe:
New Mexico-Style Green Chile and Pork Stew with Potatoes

2 T vegetable oil or more as needed
3 lbs boneless lean pork, cut into ½ to ¾ inch cubes
2 large onions, cut int6o medium dice
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef stock
¼ cup tomato puree
3 t 9 poblano chilies, roasted, seeded, peeled, and cut into ½ inch pieces
1 T ground cumin
2 t ground Mexican oregano
2 T mild red chili powder
2 jalapeño chilies, seeded and finely minced
2 T green Tabasco sauce
1 t distilled white vinegar
2 t salt
5 to 6 unpeeled Red Bliss potatoes or other red boiling potatoes, cut into ½ inch dice
Warm flour tortillas and grated Monterey jack cheese for serving.

Heat the 2 T vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pork and sauté until grey. Remove from the pan and place in a 4 quart heavy saucepan. Sauté the onions and garlic in the same pan, using a little more oil if needed. Add the cooked onions and garlic, stock, tomato puree, poblanos, cumin, oregano. And chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Add the jalapenos, Tabasco, vinegar, salt, and potatoes. Cook, covered, at a simmer, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Serve in bowls, accompanied with warm flour tortillas and grated Monterey jack cheese.

Serves 10

Nice job Ross. I liked how you cooked it on the egg. It was great to visit with you at the mini bash:icon_bigsmil

Looks awsome! Bet it was tasty too. Need to break out the DO. Thanks for the recipe.

looks incredible!! Used to live close to have a place that made amazing green chili, been a long time since I've had it though... I might have to slap some of that together today!

Thanks for the recipe too!

Looks awsome! Bet it was tasty too. Need to break out the DO. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks, try the recipe it's a keeper
Ross

looks incredible!! Used to live close to have a place that made amazing green chili, been a long time since I've had it though... I might have to slap some of that together today!

Thanks for the recipe too!
Thanks, enjoy the stew

Ross

nice, ross! :biggrin:
Thanks Rick
Ross

Oh yes........and you put taters in it too. I love taters in red and green chili. That my friend, is one pot full of spicy, stewy goodness right there! I don't know if you like pork rinds, but toss some regular store bought ones in the pot next time at the end and let them soften up. GOOD EATS. Man, I want a big ole bowl of that right now! I'd hit a few bowls at least!

Oh yes........and you put taters in it too. I love taters in red and green chili. That my friend, is one pot full of spicy, stewy goodness right there! I don't know if you like pork rinds, but toss some regular store bought ones in the pot next time at the end and let them soften up. GOOD EATS. Man, I want a big ole bowl of that right now! I'd hit a few bowls at least!
Thanks Bob, I'll try that next time this was soma awesome green chili pork stew

Ross

Whoa! That looks dangerously good!! Never had that before... silly question maybe, but is it really hot? Only myself likes hot food here, maybe if I cut down the jalapenos? I make a green chilli sauce, almost the same?
That made me warmer even out here! LOL!

Back