View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #52
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Several others here have pointed out certain things already to guide you. One thing you really have to watch on a stick burner is too much bad smoke. You have a very nice smoke ring, but I am wondering how did the brisket taste as far as smoke? What wood did you use, how much, how often? Brisket is considered by many to be the ultimate challenge and rightly so. Do your homework and keep notes. Yeah, I know we all heard that in school, but it is paramount if you want to advance your bbq skills. Just don't do something because someone else does or you read about it somewhere, etc. Know why you are doing it, how and when. Be a stickler for details. Write a plan and don't deviate from it. Keep track of and know your ingredients, the amounts used and when applied. After the cook analyze your product. Is it tender, tasty and does it look good? Again, write everything down, leave nothing out. I can't tell you how much it's helped me. Above all, have fun. This forum is a great place to learn and have fun too. All kidding aside, keep at it and keep us posted on your progress. That's what it's all about.
Using southern pecan, the meat didn't taste overly smokey..I preheat all my sticks and that helps keep my smoke thin and blue. I'm almost ocd with the details and am always looking to improve on MY technique. I think that most genius is inspired by others and I'm trying to take ideas from others to do just what you're talking about..learn why certain things work and others don't.

Q'in is both an art and a science and you can't just copy and paste and expect good results. Thanks again brethren, I feeling like a young padawan learning from some true Jedi warriors.

Thanks from:--->