• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza Day...

Smokin'Ron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, I've seen a lot of pizzas floating around here lately, and the wife would eat pizza 6 days a week if I could stand it.

So we decided to make pizzas today. Should be getting started in a couple of hours. There will be pron for those who desire it.

I'm planning on making the dough from scratch (honey/wheat), the sauce (wife) from scratch and adding a few smoked goodies for toppings. Here side will be the norm.

Unfortunately, I'm not grilling the pizza, just not ready for that yet (bad offset experience), but it is on the agenda. Since the topping on my half :wink: will be smoked, I figured it could fit in.

More to come this evening

"There will be pron for those who desire it."

Of course we want pron- Looking forward to seeing your creations. Please keep us posted and we'll forgive for not grilling the pizza.

Look around for a business Costco or RS store and pick up a couple of aluminum expanded-metal pizza screens. They work great for cooking over fire!!

Like this!
14-aluminum-pizza-screen.jpg

Look around for a business Costco or RS store and pick up a couple of aluminum expanded-metal pizza screens. They work great for cooking over fire!!

Like this!

I'll have to get at least 1 if not 5 of those. I know I have a costco close, but I do believe I has a RS near as well, and I've been dying to have a reason. :smile:

Sauce is almost done, getting ready to get the dough started...Going with a whole wheat honey dough. The wife said no on the half BBQ 1/2 not, she just wants a regular Pizza. I'll take a hunk of dough and do this:

Pizza fatty I made all chopped up and some brisket with a very thin layer of pizza sauce, some diced onion, a little red pepper flake, some pepporoni and mushrooms. Toss a couple of handfuls of Cheddar and maybe a sprinkle of BBQ all sealed up tight (calzone style). Thoughts?

The first 2 are the prize of the night. This is my finished pizza fattie/brisket calzone sorta thing. Turn out really awesome.

3rd is the wifes little pizza and the third was my monster. The Calzone was the only thing with my BBQ in it.

The scratch sauce and Dough were really good as well, but I have to say, the bite and sweet in the wheat dough went perfect with the BBQ.

Attachments

• P1230005.JPG
    P1230005.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 145
  • P1230006.JPG
    P1230006.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 145
  • P1230007.JPG
    P1230007.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1230008.JPG
    P1230008.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 144
Very nice looking pizza you got there. Peppers look deadly. :biggrin:

Looks great! I love pizza!

It was good, although I wish I had more grill involved.

Very nice looking pizza you got there. Peppers look deadly. :biggrin:

Those are just pepperocinis (sp?). The spiciest thing was the calzone with my pizza fattie and brisket in it. Can't really remember where the spice is, but it's there. I eat both on a daily basis on there own and they weren't that spicy. Amazing what happens when you mix and mingle. :grin:

Great looking pizza, will you share you dough recipe?

No problem. I used the same for the calzone, just brusheed the top with good Extra Vrigin olive oil about 15 minutes in through to make it shine.

Makes 2 16" crusts

1 .25 Pack Active Yeast
1 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP Honey
2.5 C 110 degree water
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 TBSP Salt
4.5 C Wheat Flour
1.5 C Flour

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit until creamy; about 10 minutes.

Stir the olive oil, 4.5 cups whole wheat flour, honey and salt into the yeast mixture.
Mix in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large
mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume; about 1 hour.
Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into rounds. Cover the rounds and let them rest for about 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into the desired shape, cover it with your favorite toppings and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the crust and cheese are golden brown. (Use perforated pans so the crust is firm and bvrown)

Thanks all. I'm definitely going to go grab a couple of the pans that Knucklehed BBQ posted. Next batch will be on the grill. BTW, I believe the consistency of this dough would allow me to successfully throw it on the grill and not rehash the issues I had before trying to grill Pizza.

Looks great from here too! Nice job Ron. :-D

Great lookin' pizzas & calzone & thanks for the crust recipe. Haven't done pizza on the BGE yet & appreciate all the great ideas.

I find that building a nice, hot - but not out of control - fire on one side and a cool - just a few coals - fire on the other side. this way I can rotate the pizza over the fire to cook, but have a cooler safe zone to move it off to in case the crust starts getting done too quickly.

I use a pair of tongs to grab onto the screen so that I don't have to cry over blistered fingers in front of guests. :biggrin:

Have the next pizza waiting to be tossed on as soon as that one comes off

Last edited:

Like this!
After I cook the pizza I move it to one of these to permit steam to escape from the bottom of the pizza.
Do you slide the pizza off of the peel and onto this to bake it?

Back