Starting Meat Temp

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What should the starting temp of the meat being smoked be at?

I usally try to put the meat on the counter when I get the smoker ready, trying to warm it up a little, but actully it is still cold as heck.

Should it be room temp before starting or is right out of fridge OK?

What are benfits of warming the stuff being smoked?

Most of the time I forget to take it out very long before it goes on.

IMO, I think it might be able to build a better smoke ring if its colder, because logistics say it must be below the 135* mark for a longer period of time, which some say is the temperature at which smoke stops permeating the meat.

willkat98 said:
Most of the time I forget to take it out very long before it goes on.

I wonder why ?

brdbbq said:
I wonder why ?
\

Tiny letters

Because I'm out farking around in the yard and its 6am.

I usually rub down the night before though.

willkat98 said:
\

Tiny letters

I usually rub down the night before though.

Your meat ?

I read somewhere the meat should be around room temp. I just figured it to be the same theory as trying to cook meat out of the freezer. The center is colder and will take MUCH longer to get toward optimum temp. Small items I don't worry about, but larger one I try to make a habit of bringing out of the fridge and letting it rest/wake up on the counter while I am getting ready for it.

willkat98 said:
\

Tiny letters

Checking the Perimeter for Turtles no doubt!!!!!8)

i wait till the last min to take my meat out it's supposed to get a better bark that way according to the DR's book

My meat is usually thawed and sitting in the fridge. I remove it from the fridge and do what I have to to the meat (rub, inject etc) and into the smoker it goes.

If I'm grilling I rest the meat until it's sort of room temperature; if I'm BBQing I use it straight from the fridge.

CarbonToe said:
If I'm grilling I rest the meat until it's sort of room temperature; if I'm BBQing I use it straight from the fridge.

What the toe said. Never frozen but a chilled hunk of meat will produce a better smoke ring and bark. Always room temp for grilling.

I try to remember to let everything sit out for a little bit before putting it on. I've noticed a big difference doing this when grilling, not so much in smoking. One exception: I usually leave chicken in the fridge as long as possible, though.

For me it depends on the circumstances of the day. If I have all day and am in no particular hurry, meat stays in the fridge until the last minute, I believe like Neil and others that the best quality is achieved this way.
If I'm cooking a big brisket and need to hurry things along, I get it out before I start setting up the cooker and let it warm up a bit to expedite the process a little.

When grilling (steaks in particular) I use the fridge/freezer to get the OL's and my steaks done to our particular liking. I like rare and the OL likes med, so after seasoning I put hers in the fridge and mine in the freezer (30 mins or less) throw them on the grill at the same time and my colder steak comes out less done in the same amount of time.

I find that the meat goes right through the room temperature part while sitting in the smoker. I don't have to leave it out at all.

Seriously, I take it out of the fridge and into the smoker if I rubbed it the night before. If I'm rubbing it right before smoking then it's out of the fridge long enough to be rubbed and then into the smoker.

It is nice to see that I do some things correct :biggrin: it looks like a 50/50.

CarbonToe said:

yeah.. what he said. 8)

I take it out of the fridge, prep it, then get the fire going. It gets to stay out only as long as it takes the fire to get ready.

So if you prep the meat the morning of the cook is there any difference on the temp of the meat before adding rub?

I always thought that the meat should sit over night with a rub on to get the flavors inside of the meat, does it really matter then if it sits in the fridge over night seasoned?

it may make a difference, just out of common sense, but most of the time, i put my rub on shortly before it goes into the cooker.. just a matter of remembering and being in the mood to start the night before, which i usually am not.

Back