• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting firewood down into WSM sized chunks

jimithing78

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for cutting firewood sized oak down into smaller chunks for the WSM? I've got a 10" Makita miter saw but it's mostly been used for trim work. I don't want to push it with big pieces of oak if it's going to ruin the accuracy of the saw.

I'm not opposed to using a chain saw, I'm just not sure how I'm going to keep the pieces still while sawing them. Anyone have a homemade concoction they use they'd like to share?

buy a 12" Makita miter :p
lol, that's what i do too, LS1030N chops everything! I use a tarp to save the sawdust for smoking...

I've used an upright band saw with excellent results, although it's a tad dangerous. If you go this route, you can use the chainsaw to cut rounds from the logs to about 2 inches thick, then use the band saw to cut into smaller pieces.

i use mine with a cheap blade when my wood is too long to fit in our wood burning stove
and my saw seems ok, but then again i don't do trim work

I split firewood length wood into about 2" size splits and then cut into chunks with a Makita slider/miter. I would not try cutting that small sized chunks with a chainsaw!!!

Does anyone have any advice for cutting firewood sized oak down into smaller chunks for the WSM? I've got a 10" Makita miter saw but it's mostly been used for trim work. I don't want to push it with big pieces of oak if it's going to ruin the accuracy of the saw.

I'm not opposed to using a chain saw, I'm just not sure how I'm going to keep the pieces still while sawing them. Anyone have a homemade concoction they use they'd like to share?

I use my chop saw (mitre saw) to cut up small pieces of wood for smoking chunks. Use a rough-cut blade, and don't cut too fast -- that wood is hard.

CD

i use mine with a cheap blade when my wood is too long to fit in our wood burning stove
and my saw seems ok, but then again i don't do trim work

Yeah, don't use your good trim blade for cutting smoker chunks. A cheap rough-cut blade does the job, and who cares if it gets dull in a year.

CD

Chainsaw to cut 3-4 inch thick rounds and then just take an axe or hatchet to the rounds and make chunks. No need to put the stresss on the Makita. Don't risk farking up the miter saw when you can get by with a chain saw and axe that were meant to do that kinda job.

A guy I know that cuts and sell smoking woods in a large way was using a miter saw the last time I was there but I tried it at home and had lots of problems. If the wood rocks or moves just a bit it can throw it hard before you know what hit you. I though I broke my hand and fingers once and have never used a miter saw again, a sliding miter may work better.

Now I use my table saw, of course I have to use round limbs about 3 or 4 inches dia or splits about that size. If it is a large log I use my chainsaw, cut sections again about 3 or 4 inches deep and then take those to my table saw and cut that up like a pie into wedges.
Dave

Check CL for a used saw. I got an 8 1/2" Hitachi sliding miter for $90 with 8 blades. Some were trim blades and there were a few rough cut blades.

I have an old Delta 10" miter saw. Use a framing blade and make sure it's sharp. Cut slowly.
The last time I cut oak chunks, I used an old, but sharp, cross cut hand saw.

Bob

Black & Decker Alligator

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs..._mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-202049905

9e41e372-1d35-4f5b-bb0d-edb372aa1cc2_300.jpg

That thing is scary looking. Someone could lose a body part using that :)

A guy I know that cuts and sell smoking woods in a large way was using a miter saw the last time I was there but I tried it at home and had lots of problems. If the wood rocks or moves just a bit it can throw it hard before you know what hit you. I though I broke my hand and fingers once and have never used a miter saw again, a sliding miter may work better.

Same experience here, the wood rolled and next thing you know my knuckles were throbbing.

Have not used the miter for cutting chunks since.

Last edited:
Why complicate things, purchase a inexpensive rought cut blade and move on

I use a reciprocating saw usually. Granted, most of the splits or limbs are small enough for a long, rough wood blade to cut. I just clamp the wood in my bench vise and start cutting off chunks.

I use a reciprocating saw usually. Granted, most of the splits or limbs are small enough for a long, rough wood blade to cut. I just clamp the wood in my bench vise and start cutting off chunks.

Have not tried that yet but sounds like it would work, thanks.
Dave

Unless your wood is pretty straight and flat, using a tablesaw to cut logs is really dangerous! The logs can twist so easily causing a kickback. Painful - trust me on this.

I use a sawsall-type reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight to cut the logs into chunks. I clamp the logs into a bench vice.

Back