• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tamales

I'll have to get my mother-in-law to give me her recipe. I know she uses pork but for the meat, she also uses potatoes, green olives, lots of chilies, tomatoes and onions for the filling. Her tamales are about 2~2 1/2 inches wide by 6 inches long. They are not the little round ones you pick up at a tex-mex restraunt. By the time you have finished a half dozen of these, you will have smoke comming out your ears and a smile on your face. Damn good !! I'll get the recipe.

Jorge said:
Edit: My family has been in Texas long eough that tamales have become the official X-mas eve meal with few exceptions. Big bowl of pico de gallo, some good chili, and a big platter of tamales right of the steamer....hard to go wrong there.

You are KILLING me!!:biggrin:

Elkhound said:
I'll have to get my mother-in-law to give me her recipe. I know she uses pork but for the meat, she also uses potatoes, green olives, lots of chilies, tomatoes and onions for the filling. Her tamales are about 2~2 1/2 inches wide by 6 inches long. They are not the little round ones you pick up at a tex-mex restraunt. By the time you have finished a half dozen of these, you will have smoke comming out your ears and a smile on your face. Damn good !! I'll get the recipe.

If I didn't already have a legally binding commitment I'd ask if you had an available sister-in-law 8)

Anybody going by Reuben's tamales on Rigsby? I wonder if they ship?

chad said:
Other than BOILING :eek: the pork and chicken this is a pretty good site for information about making your own tamales!

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Tamale_Recipe.htm

Hmmm...I "need" a large steamer!:biggrin:

In a true mexican tamale the meat WILL be boiled, seasoned, mixed with seasonings and other fillings. Sounds strange but they are good !!

I know, I know - just jabbing at the die hard que guys!!:biggrin:

I imagine a lightly smoked pork but and some 3 hour smoked chicken would work nicely - definately a different flavor. :-D But then you wouldn't have the broth for the masa...decisions, decisions..maybe que the pork and boil the chicken for the broth!!

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Tamale_Recipe.htm

Who started this torture??

eusa_drool.gif
eusa_drool.gif
eusa_drool.gif

Arlin_MacRae said:
Who started this torture??

eusa_drool.gif
eusa_drool.gif
eusa_drool.gif

I'm back. Made a run up to Mankato to get some dried anchos and cascabels for the seasoning sauce. I'm realy psyched for the great tamale cook sunday. I've been making them for Christmas for a couple of years and they just keep getting better the more I go traditional, as in making your own chili sauce from scratch. Big Dog, if your keeping up on this, I'm using the recipe on page 244 of "The Border cookbook".

jgh1204 said:
can you get corn shucks in Minn?

Yep. Most of the grocery stores have put together Mexican sections in the last few years. Gotta say I love it. Now if we could just get some decent sauces and rubs.

Down here you know Christmas is close when the butts hit 99cents at the HEB, which ironically enough stands for Herman E Butt, and they bring in stacks of tamale pots, lard and masa. You cannot make a decent tamale without lard.

Kevin said:
I'm back. Made a run up to Mankato to get some dried anchos and cascabels for the seasoning sauce. I'm realy psyched for the great tamale cook sunday. I've been making them for Christmas for a couple of years and they just keep getting better the more I go traditional, as in making your own chili sauce from scratch. Big Dog, if your keeping up on this, I'm using the recipe on page 244 of "The Border cookbook".

Yes I am Kevin, thanks bro. Lots of good ideas out there. Choices, choices...

Elkhound said:
Please do brother Elkhound. That would be most excellent.

Bigdog said:
Please do brother Elkhound. That would be most excellent.

She is working on writting it down for me. Hopefully I will have something to post early next week.

This thread has made me hungry. I'm not into Mexican food much but I do like it once in awhile. We have many good authentic places to go and get great Mexican take out since we have a large migrant population and there are many small Mexican grocery stores that also serve taco's, burrito's, and tamale's.

Back