• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods help needed

briqs lump personal pref I use lump cooker don't care just have to learn the cooker with what one uses. Podge didn't you have an issue with your new BWS competitor when you first got it running a lil hot?

I had door seal issues, that caused it to get hot, but got those fixed.

Back to the Lump/briq question... if you have a BWS that is properly sealed, even if one fuel burns hotter than the other, therefore your BTU per pound of fuel may be different, but 225 is 225, and the guru will control that. The only difference you should see then, is the amount of fuel used per hour.

I use briq's because Old Dave told me they work better in a backwoods. Tried it and he is right. One of these days I'll get a bigger basket from Yolkup and get an even longer burn time.

real blowhards claim that not only can they taste kingsford in a entry, but if it was also cooked on a backwoods too. lol

briqs lump personal pref I use lump cooker don't care just have to learn the cooker with what one uses. Podge didn't you have an issue with your new BWS competitor when you first got it running a lil hot?

Exactly. Perfectly stated. That's why I said that I didn't want to make this a briquettes vs. lump issue. If someone asks what I do I'll tell them (usually). It may or may not work for them. In fact, I've wasted more time than I care to admit taking something someone else does and trying to force it into my program, only to later realize it doesn't work for me.

Back to the Lump/briq question... if you have a BWS that is properly sealed, even if one fuel burns hotter than the other, therefore your BTU per pound of fuel may be different, but 225 is 225, and the guru will control that. The only difference you should see then, is the amount of fuel used per hour.

Whatever you use, you just have to be mindful of the BWS efficiency and heat retention. Once it gets hot it's awfully hard to cool it down. With my 22" WSM I can cool it down easily. One of the reasons why I brought it back on the comp trail. That's a plus and a minus, of ocurse. But for me it's nice to have the two options.

I have a Party with a guru. I use two bricks to make a snake of lump and use two paraffin cubes to start it. I leave all vents open until it gets to 200 then I shut the vents down and let the guru walk the temp up to 230. Also I began to use smaller wood chunks for smoke – the bigger ones would push the fire up faster.

When I first bought the Party I did not get the heat diffuser and had the worst time stabilizing my heat temps. Once I started using the diffuser and the snake method my temps stay at 230 for at least 8 hours.

My prefered brand is Royal Oak Chef Select restaurant/institutional (marked "Not For Resale") in 40 lb. bags. I can get those for $17.00 a bag and have been quite pleased. As a side note, I find it kind of funny they say Not For Resale yet I'm buying them.

@ KitR - I use the 20lb bags of the Chef Select - I pay $6.00 a bag that is marked "Not for Resale". I love the stuff in my big smoker and grill!

@ KitR - I use the 20lb bags of the Chef Select - I pay $6.00 a bag that is marked "Not for Resale". I love the stuff in my big smoker and grill!

where are you buying this stuff? around here (Charlotte) I can only seems to find various lump, but nothing other than grocery store brands bricks.

I think this might have ended up the charcoal debate b/c of my attempt at a joke. sorry for the left turn.. hahaha.

but sense we are on the subject, I did get better temps with, gulp, kingsford. just tasted not so great. and the ash is just stupid. tried the RO lump and it's cheap at RD. so I use that. would love it if I could find a source of briquettes around here.

Anybody care to share where they are getting the Chef's Select? I never see it anywhere including restaurant depot.

I buy Chef Select at Charcoal Warehouse in Memphis TN - great place and great people. You can buy it by the bag, the pallet or the truck load. They also have lump and wood chunks. I try and make a run up there once a month and stop at Resturant Depot as well. On the way home I stop at the Memphis BBQ Co.

I suggest everyone go by there and help keep them in business - I don't want to lose this source.

I have not seen anyone mention sealing up the backside damper.
We're still working on this but it has seemed to work well with the aid of a stoker.

I have not seen anyone mention sealing up the backside damper.
We're still working on this but it has seemed to work well with the aid of a stoker.

Hhmmmm. Interesting, but I think I would not want that sealed as I do open it sometimes to get the fire gong faster than normal, or to let the existing fuel burn out.

wallace

The party has a damper on both sides of the fire box. When we sealed that off it helped damper the fire and keep temps under control.

The party has a damper on both sides of the fire box. When we sealed that off it helped damper the fire and keep temps under control.

Oh ok the Fatboy has both as well. When I read backside I actually pictured the backside of the cooker.

Back