20 Burbon Smokers
21 Roxbury Smokers
22 U" Bacon Me Crazy"
23 Captain Pat's

Way to go everyone!
Dive, you're almost there.
Nice rebound Coz!

Last edited:
Nice job guys. I'm sure it was a fun weekend! Nice to see Bringin the Heat back in the saddle. Dive, you're really owning our contests up here! Hopefully the weather wasn't too bad.

Big congrats to Mike and the Q U Krewe ! Dive as well. The weather held up for the day. It was overcast and that was a good thing.If the sun had come out it would have been nasty.

There was also a little ceremony after the cooks meeting for a couple recently retired friends. :clap2:

Attachments

• 100_0418 (Small).jpg
    100_0418 (Small).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 93
Thanks gang, it was a great comp! Congrats to Mike, Animal, and the rest of the Krewe as well as all the others that walked.

I’ll tell you, Anita did her self proud this weekend! The sites were great and the venue couldn’t have been better. What a fantastic way to introduce our ‘sport’ to a new group of competitors! I don’t know if she planned it or it just worked out, but it seemed like each ‘Rookie Team’ was placed near an experience one and I couldn’t have been more proud of my fellow teams the way they jumped in to help the new guys out.

A special thank you should go out to Kathy (Chix ‘n Stix (our own rouge member)) for putting together a box preparation class. I think she may have had over 20 people whose eye’s got larger with every thing she said. They had great questions and I know a couple of them had their first walks! Thank you Mike Lake also for sticking around. While the class was not sanctioned by KCBS, he was there and gave answers to a couple of questions from a Rep’s point of view. I do know that there were even a couple of experienced teams checking out some new options…

I’ll tell you, it was strange not having Kathy in our site, though I think she appreciates the hotel more after sleeping next to the BGE. While she didn’t get the GC, we are very proud of her!

Clark, I'm sorry you couldn't make it to the comp, it would have been great to see you again, especially since I know know where the heck Wyocena is! LOL

I know that this competition has had more than it’s fair share of controversy. There was no real money, we were paid out in crisp new singles (I think mine were still a little wet) and the ribbons were hand made, but the lack of money allowed me to remember why I got involved with this crazy hobby; Friends, both old and new, that’s what made it all worth while.

Thank you Anita, you done did good! I truly hope you have it again next year because you know that Stockcar BBQ (and maybe even Chix ‘n Stix) is going to be there!

Being part of one of those "First Time Teams" I would like to thank all of "seasoned" competitors who gave us a hand, and tips, and a voice of support. It was great to see so many friends... both old and new. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you up in Kingsford in a month. I'll be wearing a different hat at that point however... And less I forget... Anita missed out on part of our name... it's "Sweet Bourbon Smokers"... How could she forget the "sweet" part.

Thanks gang, it was a great comp! Congrats to Mike, Animal, and the rest of the Krewe as well as all the others that walked.

I’ll tell you, Anita did her self proud this weekend! The sites were great and the venue couldn’t have been better. What a fantastic way to introduce our ‘sport’ to a new group of competitors! I don’t know if she planned it or it just worked out, but it seemed like each ‘Rookie Team’ was placed near an experience one and I couldn’t have been more proud of my fellow teams the way they jumped in to help the new guys out.

A special thank you should go out to Kathy (Chix ‘n Stix (our own rouge member)) for putting together a box preparation class. I think she may have had over 20 people whose eye’s got larger with every thing she said. They had great questions and I know a couple of them had their first walks! Thank you Mike Lake also for sticking around. While the class was not sanctioned by KCBS, he was there and gave answers to a couple of questions from a Rep’s point of view. I do know that there were even a couple of experienced teams checking out some new options…

I’ll tell you, it was strange not having Kathy in our site, though I think she appreciates the hotel more after sleeping next to the BGE. While she didn’t get the GC, we are very proud of her!

Clark, I'm sorry you couldn't make it to the comp, it would have been great to see you again, especially since I know know where the heck Wyocena is! LOL

I know that this competition has had more than it’s fair share of controversy. There was no real money, we were paid out in crisp new singles (I think mine were still a little wet) and the ribbons were hand made, but the lack of money allowed me to remember why I got involved with this crazy hobby; Friends, both old and new, that’s what made it all worth while.

Thank you Anita, you done did good! I truly hope you have it again next year because you know that Stockcar BBQ (and maybe even Chix ‘n Stix) is going to be there!

Jeff, GREAT JOB! But, you know, if Kathy or I would have been there with your team, you would have made G.C. :) LOL. I wish I could have been there. Tell Kathy I said congrats, too.

Posted on Roll call but worth posting again

There was a sign in the building that no animals were allowed which kept "someone" from making any of his walks into the building. (Anita was accomodating and went to the door to present his ribbons) BUT when you GC, all rules go out the window.....congrats to the Krewe.
th_CIMG0155.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I think being a BBQ "Roadie" is my niche so I'll look forward to the hotel room on Friday nights and Starbucks in the morning. ALTHOUGH, I will do this comp every year Anita keeps it "pure".

Let's not forget the amenities.....electric and water (on demand). Flush toilets and showers within yards, hand scooped ice cream, hot dogs, fried cheese curds next to us, video arcade, swimming hole (with floating rafts), fishing, mini golf, foot pedal go carts and the great outdoors. This venue had so much for everyone, it was nice seeing families being together. The kids would disappear for hours, fishing, swimming and just being kids. Remember those days??? And we were able to meet, sit, talk and share BBQ stories...BBQ at it's best!!!!!

it was a great contest for sure!! Nice seeing old friends win and meeting new friends!

The cake/ice cream was nice surprise--thanks my friend!

Granddaughter had a blast running free for a couple days exploring everything---even filleting bluegills for a late nite snacks
Its a do over for sure!!

I was just at the campground working on some details for the benefit this weekend and Melanie was pretty darn happy with the weekend from the campground owners point of view.Other then one team dumping some grease in the campsite which may have been an accident there was no issues from their end.They were very happy with the interaction from the cooks with the campers ,she said they had many of the campers bring it up how the cooks would visit and share the details of the hobby.

Great job everyone,
I wish I could have made it up for this one. But it just happend to fall on the only week that we could all get together for a family vacation with the inlaws. My wife won the fight on what we were doing :drama:

Back