• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

No Flavor...

N

NewBBQer

Had two umpire four games yesterday and three games today so not a lot of time to Q. Found out I was on the early schedule and told the wife to pull out the whole chicken I had to thaw so that I can do a beer can chicken.

Got home about four and put the chicken on (wife got the coals ready to go) Filled the can with basil, onion, garlic and parsley and some beer. Rubbed it with yard bird (skin was good) but although the meat was well cooked at perfect temp and VERY moist I wasn't really getting those flavors I put in the beer can.

Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Have you done it before with different results? Cook it too fast not enough time to absorb flavors maybe?

IF the beer doesn't boil the flavors will not get into the meat.

This is one of those subjective things but I don't believe flavors from beer can chicken get into the bird. For chicken you've gotta get some of your herb/rubs up under the skin and/or use an herbed brine to get flavor into the meat.

I have yet to be convinced that it makes a big difference what's in the beer can as far as imparting flavors goes. Like Soybomb says, getting rub under the skin or brining - and I'll add marinating (I wouldn't do all of these together though) is what is gonna bring you the flavor.

My injected my last batch of 3 birds and they were fantastic. Tons of flavor. I just used MOJO marinade. I also rubbed one each with Yardbird, SM Cherry, and SM Spicy Apple.

There have been previous attempts proving that the "beercan" in the process does nothing more than being a vertical chicken holder... the can's liquid doesn't gets to a simmering state.

Next time try this:

Smoke in advance whole garlic bulbs next time you run ABT's or fatties.... cut off the tops and drizzle with EVOO and pepper... smoke until soft... and separate.

Lay the birds on its belly... and duplicate the same spices without the can and toss in the cavity one of those smoked garlic cloves.

A world of difference! :thumb:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1606231&postcount=1

Last edited:
There have been previous attempts proving that the "beercan" in the process does nothing more than being a vertical chicken holder... the can's liquid doesn't gets to a simmering state.

Next time try this:

Smoke in advance whole garlic bulbs next time you run ABT's or fatties.... cut off the tops and drizzle with EVOO and pepper... smoke until soft... and separate.

Lay the birds on its belly... and duplicate the same spices without the can and toss in the cavity one of those smoked garlic cloves.

A world of difference! :thumb:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1606231&postcount=1

Sounds good!

i put rosemary into the beer can and there is a definite flavor of rosemary in the chicken. i have also used orange soda (once) and the chicken also had a citicy flavor that we did not care for.

Here's a good read about a test to see if the beer can method really works.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
I for one do not use the beer can method anymore. If anything I use the stand I have minus the beer can. All the flavor gets injected or rubbed under the skin. If you do not want to read the whole page, you can skip to the conclusion...

I'm with soybomb on this one -- I think the "beer, etc. can" helps moisture but seldom contributes much flavor. I still do chicken this way from time to time but have started using a more flavorful injection and some different flavor wood.

I use the can to keep it good and moist. I stuff a potatoe that is cut into a wedge down the neck of the chicken. I cook my chicken a little hotter than most, bacause I want the skin to get crispy. The liquid then steams, and it is forced to go into the meat.

I've been exposing the beer can chicken myth for a long time, the fact is that while cooking, meat does not absorb moisture. It releases moisture, for example, you can braise or boil meat that will be dry when finished. In nakedwiz I trust. The beer can does make a useful chicken holder however.

I've tried the beer can chicken thing a few times and I found that a good brine works way better to get good flavor into the chicken. I also like to splatchcock the bird and cook at around 250º until done then put it on the gas grill at around 350º to crisp up the skin.

That technique has produced some very good chicken that is much better than what the beer can chicken does.

Chicken is honestly probably the thing I do the most often. Not always whole, but MANY times it's whole. I, too, have found that the beer can method definitely helps speed the cook up because it steams and cooks the chicken from the inside as well, but haven't really found that it adds much flavor.

Can't say for sure that it adds NO flavor, but usually adding herbs to or under the skin does more in the way of flavor. Helps with moisture too, I guess, but I probably spatchcock more than anything anymore and still get great moist chicken. I think spatching also helps with cook time. AND it's also a lot easier to carve after the cook.

You want flavor......brine.:thumb:

I have yet to be convinced that it makes a big difference what's in the beer can as far as imparting flavors goes. Like Soybomb says, getting rub under the skin or brining - and I'll add marinating (I wouldn't do all of these together though) is what is gonna bring you the flavor.

i totally agree. I have made MANY bcc's and i stopped putting stuff in the can. Now i just use the can as a holder. You need some sort of brine or marinate. I always put the herbs under the skin with a we bit of salt. That helps alot.

A good chicken is to marinate the whole thing in yoshida sauce. pretty good eats right there

I have tried a lot of different things in the can and can honestly say I have never been able to tell any difference. It does definitely make for a nice juicy bird though so I now drink the beer and put water in the can. All of my seasonings go on the bird. I like to put spices and herbs under the skin.

Here's one from left field. If you want juicy white meat then cook the bird breast down so all the juices from the dark meat settle down into the breast. Trust me, try it. The bird does not quite look picture perfect with grill marks across the breast but I assure you it will be juicy. I have done this and for me it works.

Back