Less than perfect

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I LOVE Pork Chops but I can't cook em to save my arse. I thought If I tried these boneless butterflied center cut chops they couldn't help but come out great!!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4807&stc=1&d=1166981345

WRONG.. I smoked em over Hickory till 140* and froze them for use later(quick dinners). The first pkg of two I put in the oven wrapped in Saran and Alum @ 350* till warmed. They SUCKED. The smoke taste was ok but they were as tough as shoe leather.
The second pair I pan seared hot and fast. Still tough as, well you know.

Any thoughts? I have two pkgs of two each and was thinking long warm up in the crock pot? Maybe wrap in alum and cook low for a couple hours?
HELP!!!!
ModelMaker

Attachments

• Loin Chops 06.jpg
    Loin Chops 06.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 82
Chops

Maybe you smoke em and put them in a crockpot with some mushroom soup for a hour and half they shoud turn out nice and moist, the foil idea would work also with alittle apple juice or pineapple I prefer pineapple. Its all good!!!!

I like my pork chops grilled hot and fast. If you smoke cooked them to 140* they were already done. I think they were just overcooked. Just a guess.

Slice them real thin and make stir fry.

Personally I can't stand pork chops. There just isn't enough marbling to give them any moisture or flavor. When it comes to something like this I prefer what is called a shoulder blade steak. Much better cut if you're looking for a pork chop type of meal.

I agree with Kevin [again]. I think they are overcooked.

Joe is on the right track. Modern pork leaves the loin section very lean.
I too use shoulder blade steaks most of the time in stead of chops. Actually I am more apt to use either loin-end country ribs, or shoulder country ribs. The shoulder country ribs are approximatly the same cut as a shoulder steak, just cut thicker.
These cuts have much better fat content and stay moist while cooking.
my .02

The sirloin cut pork chops are excellent.. Center cut is like a shoe heel. Idid these in the kettle, started off with a quick sear and then went indirect to finish then glazed at the end over high heat again.

If you're not crazy about how they cooked up, I'd reccommend just dicing them up and mixing them in with some sauteed veggies..

Last edited:
I usually cut those extra thick chops in half, hit them with the jaccard and grill them. Or, cut in half, searin a pan, add cream of mushroom soup (no water) and simmer for 30-45 minutes - add some rice or potatoes and you've got chops with mushroom gravy.

We also do a pork chop/potato casserole -- sometimes we leave them "extra thick" but usually we half these, too. Sear in a bit of oil, layer a couple of pounds of sliced potatoes over the chops, add a large can of diced/stewed/etc. tomatoes along with a sliced onion. Simmer for an hour or so, or until the potatoes are done. Good stuff. We use a LARGE electric skillet or LARGE pan with cover.

.. I posted a similar frustration thread a while back. I even bought the Jaccard to tenderize them. WRONG! I believe these thick chops are just too dense to get consistently tender enough results to trust. They look so great in the packs at the store, and seem to (almost) always disappoint. I hear the stories of success here and there, but I think your cook is very typical.

In future, I go with the pork sirloin chops, thinner, and cook anyway I like. They always make great stir fry pork as leftovers roo.

I think with the next two I'll slice em up real thin and warm in a broth and put in a tortilla with peppers onions and cheese.
Can't go too wrong there, eh?
ModelMaker

last time i grilled chops..... i got fat ones and sliced them down the middle creating a little pocket.... stuffed them with onions and a little sweet baby rays bbq sauce... turned out juicey and perfect!

Back