• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Starting a Drop off catering buisness

I called the HD...

They pretty much said I would have to buy or build a brick and morter. I asked about food trucks and he said they are not making it in our area.

My only option would be to make my garage or a temperorary kitchen.

He was taling about ceiling tiles smooth wall ect.. ALL heard was cha ching cha ching...

He also stated my smoker has to be under roof.

There has to be a way to get this done.

Turning your garage or even building a small commercial kitchen isn't as bad as it sounds, Alot depends on your HD. But normally its 5 sinks ( 3 for dishes, hand wash and mop) designated prep area, hot water with a flow rate high enough to handle your sink size Refrigerator and storage area. There are a coupled of threads in Q talk of conversion/starting shacks and restaurants. Not everything will apply to you and your goals but it can give you an idea of whats involved with starting a BBQ business.

Here is mine involving a shack

Or marubozo on a restaurant

But I'm sure there is more.

Clint

That all varies. In California, and many other places...

The floor sink, and the mop sink must be a floor sink, there must be an air gap for the drain, so that water cannot backup into the sink. Same is true for the prep sinks. They cannot be hard plumbed.

All floors must be covered and single surface, all corners must be solid surfaced.

All refrigeration must be powered and have thermometers. No passive cooling, or passive hot holding for that matter.

Cold preparation, hot preparation, cold service/pantry must all be separated.

It does cost money, anyone cooking out of their kitchen is doing so illegally. Food trucks, especially NSF rated food trucks are a great way to have a mobile kitchen, and you can even park them at home, and work out of them. But, they are not cheap, a trailer or food truck will still set you back at least $20,000.

I called the HD...

They pretty much said I would have to buy or build a brick and morter. I asked about food trucks and he said they are not making it in our area.

He was taling about ceiling tiles smooth wall ect.. ALL heard was cha ching cha ching...

There is, follow your HD's regulations. The food service industry is highly regulated and those that try to skirt these regulations almost always end up "out of business".

If they do not allow any type of mobile kitchen then you will be forced to find/build a brick & mortar. Before choosing the "home site" kitchen option be sure to research city/county zoning laws, commercial kitchen plumbing/wiring codes, insurance, etc as well as HD regs. A "temporary" kitchen in your garage probably won't fly. Due to the regs it will probably need to meet commercial codes for electrical, plumbing, etc. We considered this route at first and found that the costs of converting our garage would have been about as much as buying/building a new structure on a commercially zoned site. Hence our renting of kitchen space.

I understand the desire/dream to go into the "BBQ" business but please understand that you will be going into "business" and that means following all the laws & regulations and expenses that come with it. I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone else. I am just saying that the way to go into "business" is to do it right or you will face consequences down the road. And some of those can be severe.

how about using/renting a church or hall (like a VFW) kithcen to get started?
Some places like churches and VFW halls do have commercial grade kitchens, and they often rent them out. More and more, these places realize the value of the asset and do not rent them out cheap. Also, there are usually conditions, such as time of use and food storage that can be an issue. Most churches have not kept their kitchens up to code, and that is a problem, unless you are serving on site. A commissary kitchen is a totally different standard than a church kitchen serving food on site.

Pay particular attention to food storage when renting a place. Unless you intend to be very careful with supplies and buying, you are going to want dedicated food and equipment storage at your rented kitchen site. Nothing like knowing you have a gallon of cider vinegar at the kitchen, and arriving at 10pm to prep for Saturday and finding there is no vinegar, as someone borrowed it and was going to return it Sunday.

Of course there is another layer of bureaucrats to escape as well, the HOA, if you have one. They typically don't like 20 ft trailers or trucks parked in the 'hood for extended periods of time.

also, you might have zoning regulations against creating a kitchen in your house. All things that have to be considered. I can have my trailer at my house for the weekend, but long term, it's frowned upon. Which means I'm paying for storage and smoking lots of meat at the storage lot.

Lots of good advice here and just know its going to cost money, everyone has to get their share and at the end of the day, the majority of it helps keep people from getting sick. I'll give an example of what I'm dealing with currently.

I live in Ft. Bend county just out side of Houston. Here is the trailer with pits mounted.

The back is being screened in as we speak. You see that circle, just to the lower left of the facebook logo? That's my atmospheric vent.

It's above the waste water tank as it should be. This passes all the inspections around here , except.. the city of Houston. What does this mean? Means I can't vend festivals within the city, or ever park on rented land, lets say within the city, or daily go to the two new food parks which are within city limits. there are 4M people within the city limits.....

So, I'm taking bids to have it moved. I don't have to, and I could go park for a day or two within the city at various locales I've already contacted, however, in today's social media age, if I was to ever get shut down, it would kill the current momentum I've created.

Not an expense I had budgeted for and, had I paid more attention to the requirements one I could have fixed before I paid for the expensive wrap. But like the others have said, I believe the survivors are the ones who do it right and can survive the short term pains. I'm trying to do it right, but the short term is very painful...

Now, I'm all in at this Texas Hold 'Em table so its what I have to do. What I can tell you also is people, want good Barbeque, period. So if your product is good and you want to pursue this, know its going to cost some cash and follow what needs to be done.

Good luck!

What about a concession trailer with a rented commissary? In my county (Blount, TN), at least, you have to have all the necessary equipment, but you can have part of it at a commissary, and that can be any licensed, inspected food establishment, best I can tell. For example, if the commissary has a 3-compartment sink, you don't need one in your trailer, etc. They said food trucks "don't make it?" Does that mean they're not legal, or that they don't stay in business? Never heard of a place where food trucks were illegal.

I called the HD...

Can you explain the HD's statement regarding "food trucks"? Are they saying that they are not profitable or that they are not passing their inspections?

If they are saying that they are not profitable then I would ask them how they know this and I would not necessarily take their word on that. I would do some research with actual operators to see what they say regarding profitability. It could be the HD's way of discouraging food trucks. Food trucks cause the HD inspectors more work, due to the manner in which they need to inspect them, so they may not like having them in their area. Off the cuff statements like "food trucks don't make it in this area" is a convenient way to ease their work load.

If they are saying that they do not pass their inspections then I would ask what the specifics are regarding the inspection failures. Once you know this you can build/operate in a manner which "passes".

Personally I believe a licensed mobile kitchen is your best bet for what you are wanting to do.

I agree! Don't overload the expenses when you have the opportunity to reduce it out of the gate, JMO.

Never heard of a place where food trucks were illegal.

I know I haven't been a part of this discussion, and not trying to hijack, but here in Manhattan, KS, food trucks are illegal. Including ice cream trucks. I believe a local lawyer started a hot dog push cart and had to fight in court to keep it. The city had to enact special legislation to allow the Food Networks "Great Food Truck Race" to stop and film an episode here several years back.

Of course there is another layer of bureaucrats to escape as well, the HOA, if you have one. They typically don't like 20 ft trailers or trucks parked in the 'hood for extended periods of time.

also, you might have zoning regulations against creating a kitchen in your house. All things that have to be considered. I can have my trailer at my house for the weekend, but long term, it's frowned upon. Which means I'm paying for storage and smoking lots of meat at the storage lot.

Lots of good advice here and just know its going to cost money, everyone has to get their share and at the end of the day, the majority of it helps keep people from getting sick. I'll give an example of what I'm dealing with currently.

I live in Ft. Bend county just out side of Houston. Here is the trailer with pits mounted.

The back is being screened in as we speak. You see that circle, just to the lower left of the facebook logo? That's my atmospheric vent.

It's above the waste water tank as it should be. This passes all the inspections around here , except.. the city of Houston. What does this mean? Means I can't vend festivals within the city, or ever park on rented land, lets say within the city, or daily go to the two new food parks which are within city limits. there are 4M people within the city limits.....

So, I'm taking bids to have it moved. I don't have to, and I could go park for a day or two within the city at various locales I've already contacted, however, in today's social media age, if I was to ever get shut down, it would kill the current momentum I've created.

Not an expense I had budgeted for and, had I paid more attention to the requirements one I could have fixed before I paid for the expensive wrap. But like the others have said, I believe the survivors are the ones who do it right and can survive the short term pains. I'm trying to do it right, but the short term is very painful...

Now, I'm all in at this Texas Hold 'Em table so its what I have to do. What I can tell you also is people, want good Barbeque, period. So if your product is good and you want to pursue this, know its going to cost some cash and follow what needs to be done.

Good luck!

Haha, Fort Bend County. That's my county too. I'll keep my peepers peeled for your trailer.

I know I haven't been a part of this discussion, and not trying to hijack, but here in Manhattan, KS, food trucks are illegal. Including ice cream trucks. I believe a local lawyer started a hot dog push cart and had to fight in court to keep it. The city had to enact special legislation to allow the Food Networks "Great Food Truck Race" to stop and film an episode here several years back.

Makes a person wonder if Cox Bros did a little lobbying to cut down on BBQ competition in the area?? :biggrin1: (not saying that happened but it is known to occur).

I have never understood when communities enact ordinances that keep business away. All too often it is done for reasons of protectionism and in so doing actually hurts the community imho.

But that is definitely something to check into when doing due diligence for a business plan.

Good luck!

What's with the atmospheric vent. Is it required ?

Back