Suggestions for a Mexican dry rub

bmock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to smoke two pork butts tomorrow, one will be a traditional memphis bbq rub and for the other I am wanting some mexican flavors in the rub. Any ideas?

I am going to foil pan the mexican inspired butt around 165 in some kind of liquid as well. Any suggestions would be good!!

Thanks

cumin and mexican oregano are hallmarks of mexican profiles. bitter chocolate (mole). dried chiles (ancho, ploblano, quajillo, pasillo, chipolte etc).

I am going to smoke two pork butts tomorrow, one will be a traditional memphis bbq rub and for the other I am wanting some mexican flavors in the rub. Any ideas?

I am going to foil pan the mexican inspired butt around 165 in some kind of liquid as well. Any suggestions would be good!!

Thanks

not quite a dry rub -
but sometimes I baste my pork bellies with my mixed Texmex sauce conconction of:

Taco seasoning,
Chili powder,
Cayenne pepper,
Dark brown sugar,
and a Sushi Rice vinegar
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions, any thoughts on some liquid to throw in the pan? I was thinking of saving the liquid to maybe pour back over the pulled meat.

Recado Rojo is a Mexican rub It works well with Mexican slow cooked Pulled Pork (Cochinita Pibil) and that recipe works well on the smoker

Cochinita Pibil

Ingredients
Pork butt, cubed -- 2 pounds
*Orange juice -- 1/2 cup
*Lime juice -- 1/2 cup
Recado rojo seasoning paste -- 3 or 4 tablespoons(recipe below)
Garlic, minced -- 5 or 6 cloves
Salt and pepper -- to season
Banana leaves, rinsed, hard spine removed -- 2 or 3
* origional recipe calls for Bitter Orange use it if you can find it

Method
In a large, non-reactive bowl mix together the pork, orange and lime juice, recado rojo, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerated for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Lay banana leaves in the bottom of a roasting pan with the ends hanging over the sides. Place the pork and its marinade in the middle of the banana leaves. Fold the banana leaves up and over the pork, forming a package enclosing the meat. Tie the package closed with string if you like.
Place in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the pork is very tender.
Adjust seasoning and serve in tortillas topped with cebollas encurtidas(pickleded red onions), spicy salsa and a side of black beans.

Recado rojo

Ingredients
Annatto seeds -- 2 tablespoons
Peppercorns -- 1 tablespoon
Whole cloves or allspice berries -- 5 or 6
Mexican dried oregano -- 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds -- 2 teaspoons
Cinnamon -- 1 teaspoon
Salt -- 2 teaspoons
Garlic cloves -- 8 to 10
Sour orange juice or vinegar -- 1/4 cup
Method
Place all of the spices and the salt into a spice or coffee grinder and process until the spices are fully pulverized. This may take some time, as annatto seeds are very hard. Pass it through a sieve if necessary to remove any grit.
Place the garlic and sour orange juice or vinegar into a blender or small food processor and process until smooth.
Place the spices into a bowl and stir in the garlic puree until the paste is smooth. Set aside for at least a few hours before using to allow the flavors to meld.
Rub the recado into meats, poultry, fish or seafood a few hours before roasting or grilling it. Recado can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks.

Back