Smokin' Some Butts Today

G

Gnaws on Pigs

Put on two ten-lb. butts early this morning. My homemade rub, mix of apple and hickory chunks. Also rubbed down a pound of homemade wild hog sausage for a nekkid fatty. It was done about the time my wife got the biscuits done. Breakfast was sliced fatty on biscuits with my wife's honeybun cake for dessert. Butts are resting in the cooler now, waiting on the smoked baked taters. Gonna be good.

Attachments

• butts1.jpg
    butts1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 186
  • butts2.jpg
    butts2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 186
  • honeybuncake2.jpg
    honeybuncake2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 185
  • honeybun-cake.jpg
    honeybun-cake.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 185
  • biscuits2.jpg
    biscuits2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 185
  • biscuits.jpg
    biscuits.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 183
  • nekkidfatty.jpg
    nekkidfatty.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 187
Turned out perfect-when the butt jiggles like jello and you can pull the bone out of it with two fingers and chop the meat up with the bone, it's right.
smile.gif
Add some western NC vinegar sauce, some smoker-baked taters, and mmmmmm.

Attachments

• butts3.jpg
    butts3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 159
  • butts4.jpg
    butts4.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 159
  • butts5.jpg
    butts5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 158
Fantastic looking meal.

I'd love to have a peek at that Honey bun cake recipe, if possible.

Dave

Yum! Them are some of the best looking biscuits I've seen! What's the secret there?! Share it!

Flour, shortening, milk or buttermilk combined in the right ratio. Don't overwork the dough.

Fantastic looking meal.

I'd love to have a peek at that Honey bun cake recipe, if possible.

Dave

Then my wife would have to kill both of us. It's her secret recipe. :tape2:

Had a great bbq sammich for lunch today, and still got about 7-8 lbs. of q left to vacuum seal and freeze for future quick meals!

Then my wife would have to kill both of us. It's her secret recipe. :tape2:

Had a great bbq sammich for lunch today, and still got about 7-8 lbs. of q left to vacuum seal and freeze for future quick meals!

How about the biscuits recipe? We she kill us if you share that too:razz:

How about the biscuits recipe? We she kill us if you share that too:razz:

No, the biscuits are my recipe-I taught her how to make 'em. :) Except I don't use a recipe per se, I just make 'em like my mama taught me when I was growing up. Biscuits are all about feel. Basically, take about three cups of self-rising flour, around about three heaping tablespoons of shortening or lard in a bowl. Grease a baking pan with the shortening. Pinch the shortening into the flour with your fingers until it's all crumbly. Add milk, stirring with a spoon, until you have a dough that's a little more on the sticky side than the firm side. Turn it out onto a floured board. DON'T KNEAD IT! Handle it as little as possible. DON'T USE A ROLLING PIN! Work it out into a 1/2" or so thick layer with floured hands, then cut the biscuits out with a wide-mouth mason jar ring. Put them in the greased baking pan, preferably touching each other. Bake at 400* or so until they're done, you may or may not have to switch to broil at some point depending on your oven. Pull them out when they're browned to your satisfaction, and rub the tops of the hot biscuits with a stick of butter. It's all about the feel, you'll get them down sooner or later.

I just ate lunch, and I'm ready for more!

Those biscuits look amazing!! Everything looks great, you did a helluva job!!

Not sure what I'd hit first. It all looks amazing!! :grin:

Back