Beef short ribs

brandonh1987

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I got a rack of beef short ribs... I guess you call it a "chuck". Anyways, I've never smoked them before.

Not sure how to go about doing it?

Should I start out my first attempt at beef short ribs by doing a 3-2-1? And after this first attempt adjust to my likings?

3-2-1 should work with salt,pepper,onion,garlic with hickory or oak for smoke.

Should I start out my first attempt at beef short ribs by doing a 3-2-1?

I would definitely NOT do them that way if it were me.

Season with Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Cook at 300F
Don't wrap
Should be done in ~4+ hours

This is how they can turn out.

jmuellerrib1w.jpg

*This isn't my pic. Those ribs were cooked by John Mueller.

I treat with 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1/4 part granulated garlic by volume.

Smoke at 300-325 degrees till probe tender.

Here are a couple of my short rib cooks.
iGU1Gc4.jpg

ssq2zhq.jpg

07am9UQ.jpg

3DVJEKn.jpg

C3I0kth.jpg

They're kinda like brisket....season with salt and pepper and cook hot (like 300-325) until probe tender. No need to wrap...

Last edited:
This is how they can turn out.

jmuellerrib1w.jpg

*This isn't my pic. Those ribs were cooked by John Mueller.

Since that's not your pic, I can tell you that's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Looks like a file photo from a surgical procedure. I love food, and photography, but this is just too brutally sharp and clinical.
I'm sure they tasted good though.

Yeah totally against the 3-2-1 method. As mentioned cook like brisket, and probe temp normally good to go around 4hrs. I cook hot and fast, 300ish.

Since that's not your pic, I can tell you that's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Looks like a file photo from a surgical procedure. I love food, and photography, but this is just too brutally sharp and clinical.
Then give me some surgical procedure spare parts!!! :biggrin1: :crazy:

lol.

Back