WSM, come to Papa!

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
About to order the WSM22 from Amazon, along with a WHITE Thermapop.

This is very exciting to me. I struggled with a ECB (modded) for a few years, then ditched it and have just been using my kettle. Now it's time for a nice, dedicated smoker.

This will arrive in time for me to do a break-in smoke, then do a brisket and some ribs for Memorial Day. Yea!

Pics, of course, will follow.

Welcome aboard! You'll love it.

I would highly recommend some type of thermometer to monitor food and cooker temp. I have had great luck with my Maverick 732. It's worked great for me.

Congrats. I cooked some great bbq on my wsm. The maverick is a great recommendation.

You gonna love it!

The Maverick (or whichever thermometer of choice you use) is an invaluable tool. It really takes the guess work out of the equation. This was the single most important key for me to become confident in my schmoking abilities.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, aks. I have a WSM 22 as well, and absolutely love it. The Mav is a big reason I have enjoyed my WSM so much, as it has helped me get the most out of my WSM.

Yeah, get a Maverick. You might also check out the WSM hinge from Unknown BBQ. It's good stuff, and saves figuring out what to do with the lid when you're adding and removing meat.

Welcome to the WSM club! Plenty of time to get her dirty before the holiday.

Yeah, get a Maverick. You might also check out the WSM hinge from Unknown BBQ. It's good stuff, and saves figuring out what to do with the lid when you're adding and removing meat.

I have been waiting to think about that mod. Concerned about the stress on the barrel. How you like it?

Ah, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

That Maverick 733 sure looks nice to me, and at the discounted price it sure looks like it should be part of the order. I don't want to go gadget crazy (at least I THINK I don't...), but this looks like a wise investment.

Congrats, and I cooked with mine for the first time last week. Keep the Thermopop, as an instant read is invaluable for doneness and food safety (although save for the thermopen as it is worth it as well!). Get the remote thermometer as well if you can. As the others have said, Maverick makes a good one, but so does NuTemp, Weber, Thermoworks, etc.

When I started smoking, using good thermometers to learn the relationship between pit and food temps was invaluable to learning how to run my smokers. Running the WSM last week was the first time I used my remote thermometers in a couple of years, as I had no idea of how it was going to perform.

Congrats and can't wait to see the pictures!

Yeah, you really need a thermometer as those in the WSM dome suck. Get a dual probe umit so you can see the internal temp of the meat and grate level temp (or temps at both grate levels).

After you get used to it, you'll get to know that 250* in the dome means 270 on the top grate (example).

I want a WSM badly. Until I can swing it i'll just keep smokin on my Kettle.

Ah, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

That Maverick 733 sure looks nice to me, and at the discounted price it sure looks like it should be part of the order. I don't want to go gadget crazy (at least I THINK I don't...), but this looks like a wise investment.

If you do decide to go gadget crazy, get the Pitmaster IQ 120. It tells you your pit temp, food temp, and controls your airflow for steady temps. It is the best accessory I've ever bought for my WSM.

The Maverick (or whichever thermometer of choice you use) is an invaluable tool. It really takes the guess work out of the equation. This was the single most important key for me to become confident in my schmoking abilities.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, aks. I have a WSM 22 as well, and absolutely love it. The Mav is a big reason I have enjoyed my WSM so much, as it has helped me get the most out of my WSM.

I agree 100%!! The WSM is amazing and teamed with the maverick is a grandslam!!!!

Back