• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Taboo of Simmering - Jetton and Legends of Texas BBQ

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
I deleted a couple of posts that contained scanned images of a cookbook, that IS no longer in print to my knowledge. As much as I understand the desire to share the information, it IS still copyrighted material...unless I'm mistaken and it's now public domain for some legal reason.

If it turns out that there are no legal issues then the posts in question will be returned. Until then, please refrain from posting images of copyrighted material.

After nearly 50 years of BBQing and smoking I have recently found the myriad of online BBQ forums and was struck by the idiocy of policing another person's "unorthodox" methods or perceived "taboo" violations.

If it taste good...it is good.

Arguments of how we define it rhetorically (especially in a historical/traditional context) may have merit, but in the end it is all about satisfying food served safe without keeping folks waiting too long.

Last edited:
After nearly 50 years of BBQing and smoking I have recently found the myriad of online BBQ forums and was struck by the idiocy of policing another person's "unorthodox" methods or perceived "taboo" violations.

Arguments of how we define it rhetorically (especially in a historical/traditional context) may have merit, but in the end it is all about satisfying food served safe without keeping folks waiting too long.

I agree

I think one of the reasons we CAN rhetorically postulate is because we cannot taste someone's samples online. My signature once quoted that
bbq is best judged by the result, not the method."

My "break my heart loinbacks" are specifically drawn from a Louisiana recipe so I agree wholeheartedly. While my SPARES are done with not foils or wraps., my loinbacks are made in a pinch by simmering the cuts in beer and strong chicken stock THEN smoking them. Of course I never like to reveal that. The ribs are brought onsite (well they used to be) as a backup if I need more stuff. They are par simmered, spiced and ready to go into my hot pit. I never rely on them as the main course though.

This is why I drew that parallel to the online community condemning flavor braising or simmering (which is as old as the hills) while gleefully embracing foil, an injection needles and canned or powdered broth to enhance flavor and augment or limit moisture retention or loss.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/24/_ETt0-WT2Zs

Loinback shown at the start of video

Gonna go simmer my brisket and then inject it with all of the juices. Then I'm gonna cook it slow for 2 hours then fast for 2 hours. Then I'm gonna cover it with sugar and hit it with a blow torch for the bark.

Really a great post Donnie!

Very interesting read. Muchas gracias Donnie.

I picked up this book a couple of years ago and read through it. I remember thinking it was a pretty good book. Now after reading your post I realize I need to pull it off the shelf and give it a second read.

Great post. thanks.

Obviously the 50 yrs of q'n gives one a lot of wisdom on the subject. I like the comment. More than one way to skin a cat is what I always say.

Thanks Donnie. Well executed and much appreciated.

But, I'm guilty as charged. Today on Facebook I ridiculed the Chris and Pitts folks for simmering or boiling their ribs. You should have seen the myraid of compliments about their food on the company Facebook hompage. People love the stuff.

Donnie, thanks for taking the time to post that.

Your welcome. We seemed to have gotten through the discussion without the inexperienced bbqer coming in and not realizing the historical place this process has in BBQ History and why before they vomit out things like... "there are many ways of doing Q but one thing is certain..bbq ain't boilin' / simmering."

I can remember other chants in the past like "cooking bbq above 225? Sure if you want to make shoe leather..." Thank God that bit of ignorance is dispelled. It can be good both ways but adjustments must be made.

Or how about "you better peel off the bark and have thin blue smoke or you will be making a charcoal puck," the poster completely unaware of the practices of such masters as Mixon. LOL Or Zion for that matter.

Back