• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Egg cooking comparison feedback

pigout sc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone who has cooked on both a large and an XL notice a difference in how they cook? I may be wrong but it looks as though the XL is more shallow and closer to the fire ring.

I own a large and a small. I've cooked next to XL's at our Eggfest, and 2 buddies have them. The headroom is shorter, but I think they have changed the fire ring height to give you more room. Everyone does say it's easy to get the pit temp higher than what you want, but once they practice with vent control it's no big deal.... just different than a large is.

The XL is really big compared to a large. Tom at ceramicgrillstore.com has a lump reducing ring to use if you are doing a smaller cook in the XL Egg.

Also FYI...., Primo has just come out with a special Jack Daniels XL Oval edition, and is planning a Large Oval (which will be in-between the Oval Jr., and the XL Oval.)

Great info. I did not know about the primo oval, looks like competition in the ceramic grill industry is spurring these new models. Thats a healthy thing. I am about ready to get one so not sure if I can hold out for the new Primo.

Back