UDS and Comps

S

StayDown

I was curious how many people use, have used or know of those that have used a fleet of UDS for comps.

I was thinking about making about 5 of them and eventually working my way into comps that way I get the experinece without the huge investment up front that I can't deal with right now.

What would be the downside to using them for a comp?

If you have no problem haulin them around then there is no downside. I've been using 2 BDS's for chicken and ribs for a few years now. Also use WSM's for heavy meats. I store my WSM's inside the drums while traveling and use a hitch carrier. This allows me to use the rest of the bed of my truck for stuff.
And...it's not the cooker...it's the cook...you can master any cooker.

Remember it's the cook, not the cooker. You can still make crappy Que in an expensive cooker.

I am a machinist/welder so if I did have an issue hauling them I could always fabricate something/

If you have no problem haulin them around then there is no downside. I've been using 2 BDS's for chicken and ribs for a few years now. Also use WSM's for heavy meats. I store my WSM's inside the drums while traveling and use a hitch carrier. This allows me to use the rest of the bed of my truck for stuff.
And...it's not the cooker...it's the cook...you can master any cooker.

Yeah,but Jay,you're one of those 'elitist" !!!:lol::lol::lol:

Besides cooking grate size, are their any other adavantages that the UDS has over a WSM? ANy downnside to a UDS over a WSM?
I think the biggest advantage, other than capacity, is the "down home flavor" that what I call "direct indirect" cooking provides. In short, the rendered fat drips, vaporizes on the coals, and adds another flavor dimension.

Oh, one other bonus is the ease of use and clean-up. No more foiling and filling water pans for me. :wink:

I hope this helps,
John

I think the biggest advantage, other than capacity, is the "down home flavor" that what I call "direct indirect" cooking provides. In short, the rendered fat drips, vaporizes on the coals, and adds another flavor dimension.

Oh, one other bonus is the ease of use and clean-up. No more foiling and filling water pans for me. :wink:

I hope this helps,
John

I agree John, the flavor is awesome and it's probably the easiest cooker to use/clean.

I hope this helps,
John

Would you not also get the same vapor from a regular smoker? The fat should drip onto a hot (semi hot anyway) metal pan and do the same thing right?

Jay - Looks like we'll be going at it drum-to-drum at Rock'n Ribs next month (with that cousin of yours, of course :roll: :-D). I look forward to seeing you.

John

Would you not also get the same vapor from a regular smoker? The fat should drip onto a hot (semi hot anyway) metal pan and do the same thing right?
Metal at 220-275* isn't really the same as burning coals. The key is the vaporizing.

John

Metal at 220-275* isn't really the same as burning coals. The key is the vaporizing.

John

True, I will give ya that just sems to me that the bottom of a smoker would be a bit hotter than the temp on the grate itself.

I will take your word for this though.

So another question...why an 85 gallon for brisket and pork? is a 55 just not big enough to handle the job?

John

John's right again. My big offset has a drain for the grease as you are cooking...no vaporizing. You will not find any grease at the bottom of your drum.

Jay - Looks like we'll be going at it drum-to-drum at Rock'n Ribs next month (with that cousin of yours, of course :roll: :-D). I look forward to seeing you.

John

Don't think Dave is going to join us this time. Too busy catering.
Lookin forward to seein you to.

Back