View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Big Brisket Yesterday

A choice 16# packer. Some call it a brisket, I call it Beef Critter! This thing was huge!

Set the coals and wood up Friday nighty for an early start Saturday. 3 chunks of white oak and kingsford blue.:

About 5 AM Saturday:

And it's on!

Went back to bed for a couple of hours with temp alarm set on the Mighty ET-732. All ran smooth. Here's a pic 4 hours in. I used the Aaron Franklin super secret Dalmatian brisket rub. 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup course ground black pepper. This beast measured 22" long. How is that going to work on a 18.5" WSM? The answer was supplied right here by one of the Mods in a previous post (apologys for not remember which one) and Thanks! The solution was to place a SS bowl upside down on the grill.

I cooked this brisket 5 hours till I hit the stall at approx. 178*F. At that time, I foiled the brisket. It might have taken 20 hours to do otherwise eventhough I was running between 250-270*F.

It was 12 hours to probe tender and into a blanket it went for a 2 hour rest:

Here's a shot of it opened after the rest. I should have sliced it right then:

I had some other things happening so I had to put her in the fridge overnight.

Pulled out today and heated up just till 100*F and sliced. When I put it on the cutting board, it split along the grain because it was so tender:

Did manage to slice it some and show some smoke ring:

It is delicious and turned out about as tender a one can I guess. Next time I'll be doing one around 10 lbs. I learned a lot from this cook!

Forgot to add that this was the maiden voyage of the Saints WSM. Thanks to Marty Leach!

Thanks for lookin'!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 07-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Content
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->