expanded steel?

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i know you can use expanded steel for the grate on a smoker, but what about a gas grill? i am having a hard time finding a reoplacement grate, even the company is out of stock! if so does anyone know where to get some on long island? thanks.

phil

i know you can use expanded steel for the grate on a smoker, but what about a gas grill? i am having a hard time finding a reoplacement grate, even the company is out of stock! if so does anyone know where to get some on long island? thanks.

phil

i dont see why you cant... i believe right on the pkg the expanded steel comes in it says that it can be used for grills,windows etc etc... just get the heaviest guage one... lowes in my area half the price of home depot

My Smokemaster offset cooker came from the factory with an expanded metal grill. It works just fine. Only downside is that it is hard to clean. What are the dimentions you need? Could you cut down a 22 1/2" Weber grill? I did that for my homemade cooker.

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• Barrel Cooker 024.jpg
    Barrel Cooker 024.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 155

phil

I've found it at couple local Home Depots, it's just in a weird place. It was on one of those random aisles with garage door hinges, bungie cords, etc. up above a selection of steel rods of varying dimension. The sheets, I beleive, were 24x24x3/4".

It would work fine. If you can fine SS expanded metal it would be better. I would run some extra suppot bars under it.

Grab your local yellow pages and look for your closest metal supplier, metal yard, metal fabrication...

Call them and ask if they sell "drops". Thats the scraps after they cut a full sheet. You can go and rumage the drop bin and find all you need as long as you pay cash.

I found much thicker stuff than at HD or Lowes and a much better price.

I've found it at couple local Home Depots, it's just in a weird place. It was on one of those random aisles with garage door hinges, bungie cords, etc. up above a selection of steel rods of varying dimension. The sheets, I beleive, were 24x24x3/4".

I'll have to go back and take another look. Everyone I've ask at the stores I've been to look at me like I have two heads :roll:

Just ask where the bar or round stock is.

Sorry, I hit the button too early. The expanded metal is usually where the Metal round and bar stock is located. Good Luck. But I find the ones by where I live are too thin for grates.

Back