Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

While I'm not a full fledged restaurant guy like you are, I do sell in a farmer's market during summers. I can only cook so much food and...knock on wood....it all sells well before the market closes. Very few people actually get angry about missing out...they usually just say "I gotta get here earlier next week" or something like that. If you cook as much as you can, keep giving the excellent customer service you currently are, and let people know you're doing the absolute best you can...people will understand...especially if your food is as good as it is. They'll find a way to make it to your place earlier.

Changing the hours to a closing time of "or until we run out..." let's people know they can't slack. Those that actually get mad when you run out...well, those kinds of people are never happy anyway....

Sounds like you've got a lot of great problems, if you get my meaning.

The 24 hour pit sounds like a great solution. Closing between lunch and dinner is also probably a good idea. No reason you can't extend your hours later if it makes sense after this opening boom is done. Something like "Hours: Tues - Sun 11-2 and 5-8 OR UNTIL WE RUN OUT" right on the door might help set expectations.

>> "or until we run out..." let's people know they can't slack.

That can be a strong marketing tool. If folks know that once you're out of something, that's it til tomorrow ... at the very least they'll know you cook fresh every day.

A portable sign out front, saying 'ALMOST OUT OF PULLED PORK' when you're running low, can attract a lot of impulse purchases from cars that would otherwise pass by.

Oooh, how about a sign like this:

BRISKET . . . NOW SERVING
SPARE RIBS . . . RUNNING LOW
PULLED PORK . . . AVAILABLE FRESH, NOON TOMORROW
CHILI . . . NOW SERVING

See that? Instead of saying you're out of pulled pork, turn it into a positive, saying it'll be available FRESH OFF THE SCHMOKER tomorrow at noon.

I have a real problem with the whole running out of food thing, that is a pet peeve. I guess in BBQ that is a normal and accepted practice, it still bothers me.

It is common in BBQ because the meats must be slow-cooked. As you know, you can't pop it on the grill and have it done in 10 minutes.

Our OP is a bright fellow, and he is figuring it out very quickly - run the smoker 24-7, prep non-temperature sensitive foods a couple of days in advance, etc.

Suggestion, the days your are closed might be great days to prep the slaw, beans, etc for the week.

I'm still in a state of shock. It's almost hard to believe that I'm running a BBQ joint and serving hundreds of people. It's finally starting to sink in and it's amazing.

I didn't find out until late today, but apparently two local news shows promoted the restaurant and talked about winning the chili cook-off on their morning shows. Very cool. And a radio station came in today and talked about doing a remote at the restaurant, which would be extra cool.

While things went quite smoothly today, it's clear that I'm under staffed. Of course, the volume I'm seeing is double what I planned on, but I need to bring on another person or two. Even if it's just washing dishes, that would help a ton. So I've got to make some calls tomorrow.

All in all, the troubles we've gone through seem like a distant memory. Seeing people lined up out the door, and seeing people who come in every single day to eat here, it's almost overwhelming. I only expected a fraction of this.

Sure, five hours of sleep a night sucks, but nothing makes you want to get out of bed more than putting smiles on people's faces.

That is great news.
Here's to much and continued success!
irish-drinking-beer_zps3223eabb.gif

So pumped about this. Prized Pig BBQ opened! The pork was great. Probably the best ribs I've ever had. Cornbread is sweet to the taste... only thing missin is sweet tea. Will definitely be going back!

Wait... What? You put sugar in your cornbread and none in your tea?

Kidding, mostly, a little. I think. This is awesome to read.

Wait... What? You put sugar in your cornbread and none in your tea?

Kidding, mostly, a little. I think. This is awesome to read.

Sweet tea is really a big thing this far north (I assume it is the same even further north). I would have to say that it is becoming more popular though.

This is one of my all time favorite threads - for all the different interests I have.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Keep them coming

I am following you on FB and its awesome to hear your success, now if we can get Bigmistas up and running it will be a double brethren success!

I'm still in a state of shock. It's almost hard to believe that I'm running a BBQ joint and serving hundreds of people. It's finally starting to sink in and it's amazing.

I didn't find out until late today, but apparently two local news shows promoted the restaurant and talked about winning the chili cook-off on their morning shows. Very cool. And a radio station came in today and talked about doing a remote at the restaurant, which would be extra cool.

While things went quite smoothly today, it's clear that I'm under staffed. Of course, the volume I'm seeing is double what I planned on, but I need to bring on another person or two. Even if it's just washing dishes, that would help a ton. So I've got to make some calls tomorrow.

All in all, the troubles we've gone through seem like a distant memory. Seeing people lined up out the door, and seeing people who come in every single day to eat here, it's almost overwhelming. I only expected a fraction of this.

Sure, five hours of sleep a night sucks, but nothing makes you want to get out of bed more than putting smiles on people's faces.

It is better to have a busy restaurant, than an empty one that is for sure.

I have plans to do the same in the future. It's great reading the ups and downs to getting started. Glad it's working out for you. :razz:

I have plans to do the same in the future. It's great reading the ups and downs to getting started. Glad it's working out for you. :razz:
In Berkeley? You are a brave man! Going up against a legend in Berkeley is not something easy.

Back