Ice cold beer in your own home?

B

BrooklynQ

Imagine having ice cold on-tap beer available 24/7 in th comfort of your own home. Build a kegeartor! Here's how.

yup. got one already..

It's as easy as just buying the johnson controls digital thermostat and a deep freeze.

I've had one for the last 3 years and it's freakin great. With CO2, a keg can last feasibly for 30-45 days before going off-taste.. usually I float them by 25 days.. makes for a great deep 'cooler' if you set it at 35-38 degrees.. colder than your fridge, but not freezing. Great for wet-aging

I like it. Ive thought about going that route. But I would rather have a tap setup similar to what you see in a bar. This would depend upon getting the beer I want in small kegs like ponies or 5 gallon Cornelious Pepsi type kegs. Ah to dream...

I built one from scratch. Sorry no pics. Used it mostly for home brew.
Washing and capping all those bottles is a pain in the butt!

In my younger bachelor days we ran four different mini-kegs out of the same kegerator. Can't do that anymore!

I had 8 brews on tap for a while.

brewdog.jpg

Great idea but I think I would consume way too much beer. Yes that is possible. I always have cold beer in the refrigerator anyway. Remember life is too short to drink cheap beer! Always enjoy what you drink! Oh yes remember to drink responsibly!

I'd like to have one with Diet Coke in it so I can quit running to the store for the wife's fix all the dang time! That is too cool!

One thing to think about when picking the frig for this; your electric bill. A friend made one of these out of an old Frigidaire from his Mom's basement. The beer was good and cold, but the old unit was so inificent, it was costing him an arm and a leg to operate.

Sami, glad the angle of that pic wasn't any lower. :shock:

Been there, done that, got drunk, didn't function well, got divorced................

Kirk, I grew up and lived most of my life in Horsham, not far from you

I've got 5 cornies in the fridge right now. I usually only run about 2 at a time, both IPA's, that are my two favorite recipes. Since the beer never sees oxygen after the primary it will last a very long time, but a 5 gal corny usually never makes it past 2 or 3 weeks anyway. We brew at least every three weeks so I will pretty much never run out of beer. Good times....

one suggestion to those wanting a kegerator..

Don't bother with the tower-style tap-spigot.. the beer in the end usually ends up gettin warm and the correct fix for it is too much of a hassle.. I had one and the first pour was always full of head and slightly warm.. I moved to a simple plastic tap on the end of the hose and keep that in the kegerator.. i waste far less beer now.. (perhaps 3-4 drops per pour at most) and it tastes better and has less chance of a wild keg scenario.

Also.. something nice, is those 1/4 keg (ponies or the tall skinny ones) sizes are not that much more expensive than the 1/2 kegs in terms of cost per beer.. so you can invest in a couple of kinds of beer and taps and run them all off the same C02 system if you need to.

evilpsych said:
one suggestion to those wanting a kegerator..

Don't bother with the tower-style tap-spigot.. the beer in the end usually ends up gettin warm and the correct fix for it is too much of a hassle.. I had one and the first pour was always full of head and slightly warm.. I moved to a simple plastic tap on the end of the hose and keep that in the kegerator.. i waste far less beer now.. (perhaps 3-4 drops per pour at most) and it tastes better and has less chance of a wild keg scenario.

Also.. something nice, is those 1/4 keg (ponies or the tall skinny ones) sizes are not that much more expensive than the 1/2 kegs in terms of cost per beer.. so you can invest in a couple of kinds of beer and taps and run them all off the same C02 system if you need to.
I have to agree. When I built mine, I went with the tower. It looks real good. But yeah, that first draw has to be 86'd. And that does add up after awhile.
One other note, for some reason, friends tend to think that if you have a keggerator, some how the beer is free. Like it just runs to the brewery or something.

Hey dummy! Where were you when I needed to get this here keg from the car into the house?

dapittboss said:
I've got 5 cornies in the fridge right now. I usually only run about 2 at a time, both IPA's, that are my two favorite recipes. Since the beer never sees oxygen after the primary it will last a very long time, but a 5 gal corny usually never makes it past 2 or 3 weeks anyway. We brew at least every three weeks so I will pretty much never run out of beer. Good times....

beer recipes to share????--have brewed only about 20 batches so far--good stuff fior sure!! Still going the mash/extract route--right now an Irish ale and oatmeal stout are in secondaryies awaiting bottling--mostly in grolsch style bottles or 22oz'rs
With 3 fridges already on line suppose I could convert one of them to a corny kegarator

You da man PittBoss. I havent brewed in years but I still have all my stuff and I really need to start again. Plus, BeerGuy is gonna kick my ass if I dont. I used to make a really good Brown Ale. The recipe was in Charlie Papazian's book. My wife always wanted me to make a raspberry wheat - never got around to it. Then we started making kids and it seems I dont have time for chit anymore.

I was damn sure tired of bottling and was looking into a Cornelius keg setup when I stopped. From what I understand you can do your secondary in the keg. Is that what you do?

Back