Sausage and.... shrinkage

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to be smoking some fresh sausage on the drums this weekend for an upcoming 4th of July get together. There's a mom and pop sausage shop here in KC and there stuff is amazing off of the smoker. One question though... Every time I cook it (very low and very slow) by the time it has been on the counter to cool, the casings begin to shrivel from the expansion during cooking. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent such shrinkage? It the end, it may not matter for this particular smoke because I'll be freezing and then re-heating a few days. But just wondering if there's a step I'm missing. thanks!

Good question...I haven't been able to successfully smoke sausage without the same problem.

Putting my sausage in an ice bath has ALWAYS caused shrinkage.:oops:
Weird huh?

• Thanks
Reactions: OS
I'm going to be smoking some fresh sausage on the drums this weekend for an upcoming 4th of July get together. There's a mom and pop sausage shop here in KC and there stuff is amazing off of the smoker. One question though... Every time I cook it (very low and very slow) by the time it has been on the counter to cool, the casings begin to shrivel from the expansion during cooking. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent such shrinkage? It the end, it may not matter for this particular smoke because I'll be freezing and then re-heating a few days. But just wondering if there's a step I'm missing. thanks!
What is the KC shop? I may have to try. Local Pig? These guys are correct about the casing shrinkage in this thread too. Dipping them in a water bath will relax the casing back into it normal shape.

IMO, I think most Casing shrinkage with deep wrinkles is a by by product of cooking too hot. you can render 1/4 inch in and get it pretty bad. I like sneeking up on the temps real slow.

legendaryhog -

Krizman's House of Sausage over in KCK. Super nice folks. They provide the polish for a handful of the BBQ joints in KC. They also have a BBQ (mild and hot) pork sausage that's REALLY good. I dig Local Pig, but I haven't done much w/ their sausages yet.

I normally stay out of cold water to avoid Shrinkage:p Sorry I couldn't resist that one:mrgreen: In all seriousness spray them with cold water to stop the casing from shrinking.

I put soy protein in my sausages, http://www.sausagemaker.com/14100soyproteinconcentrate1lb12oz.aspx

24660_3032566909154_1387314945_n.jpg

540161_3032563949080_1573147781_n.jpg

Works great!

Bryan

Back