Comp Essentials and Goodies

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
When you compete, what kind of things do the sponsors supply to help with your cook? Do they give a goody bag? What's in it?

When we did the Grillin' on the Bay contest - here's what was in the goodie bag. Great stuff from the brothers - SpiceWine & Home BBQ. And not pictured is a gift certificate to 2 fat polocks Rub and a "I Love NY t-shirt."

goodiebag.jpg

At other contests, the most I've ever gotten is a shirt.

It varies. Sometimes foil, an apron, "crying towel", discount tickets for the area, rub, contest hat pin, t-shirts...we've gotten tongs, pastry brushes, and so forth, too.

Dillard, GA, had a crying towel, a head of cabbage and stone-ground grits (add-on contests) pin, shirt, etc.

It really varies from contest to contest.

I would agree with Dave - mostly trinkets, once in a while there is something that you can use, like a meat therm, apron, or can coolie.

My favorite!!! Coupons for a local restaurant in town that expire before you will ever get back for next year's contest.

The one comp I did, we got more water and ice than we could ever use, several cases of soda and orange juice, lots of rubs and hot sauce in the goody bag.

Another one of my favorites---Huge bag of lump that I only use to burn off the smoker after contest.

We get squat up here. Never saw a goodie bag except for "grillin on the bay. "

At Bentonville this year, we received a cases of KC Masterpiece sauce, KC Masterpiece marinade, and Hidden Valley Ranch. We also recieved four bags of Kingsford charcoal. But wait, there's more . . .then a Gator came around and gave us as many hats, shirts, and misc. stuff like hotdog roasting forks, wildlife prints, etc. we wanted. We received lots of goodie bags in the last five years, but I think somebody was feeling a little guilty about their last minute contest site . . . I'll never use up all the stuff they gave us.

Yeah Wayne, that's what I heard from Rick last weekend! I'm thinking Bentonville sounds like a good place to be next spring!

That must be a vicious rumor. No free beer that I found. I did forget one thing. At awards they called all the teams up one by one to give them a big camo duffle full of gear. There was all kinds of stuff in there. Lined pullover, big flashlight, hat, license plate frame, stick lighters, knife, etc. I better look again, but I don't think the beer was in there either.

Back