THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refer to page 721, Salad Bowl top - Squatchin' re drips from rim edge.

Later finding, the moisture drips were not a big problem, so forget it. Mostly condensed vapor and little or no grease. Will see after a few more smokes.

Last edited:
Nice build on your smoker. I had problems with my intake holes not being real tight as well. I put a washer on the inside and outside of the pipe and that solved that. I like you exhaust cover I did the same thing on mine.

Something else you can do it use RTV Caulk on both sides, just in case you don't have a tight fit.

Something else you can do it use RTV Caulk on both sides, just in case you don't have a tight fit.

It fits tight, but a sort of metal to metal and all that moisture-filled smoke rising to top and some comes down inside surface...

Not a big fan of using gasket stuff etc, but will consider idea. Thanks.

I imagine the problem is not much different than when using Weber top that extends outside, unless their angle at edge traps the moisture.

That is why I mentioned it...seems the cost of the Salad bowl is about the same as if one installed the 6-inch inside metal ring to support a medium Weber top, if the top cost nothing...

After a lot of advice from Outnumbered and reading this thread until my eyes were bleeding, I figured it was time to get one built.

A good friend found me a barrel. cut out the lid, and welded up a coal basket for the promise of some free Q. The barrel was unlined and held antifreeze. We washed it out with a Hotsy power washer and detergent, then I burned it out.

I sanded the outside with a random orbit sander and got all the hardware on in a couple hours.

I looked for a couple weeks on CL and couldnt find a used Weber kettle for a decent price, so I grabbed a CharBroil kettle from Menards that was on sale for $38. I figured that was a decent price for a lid & grate. The lid didn't fit. Since I'm not a welder I got a little creative with a 6' stick of aluminum and a riveter.

It was painted by 10, seasoned by noon and cooking dinner by mid-afternoon.

And now for the first weekend PRON:

I figured that was a decent price for a lid & grate. The lid didn't fit. Since I'm not a welder I got a little creative with a 6' stick of aluminum and a riveter.

Nice work! I dont' have a riveter, but would simple nuts and bolts work? I guess i'd have to add washers to prevent air leaks?

Cheerywood, awesome UDS... not so ugly! One question: how far down is your second grate from the top of the drum? looks like 8 or 9 inches to me. Alternatively, how far up is it from the charcoal basket? do you find that any of your meats get more done on one side like a deeper bark?
I'm asking because I want to make my next UDS with a grate thats about 18-20" from the basket but I'm afraid my food will burn

Vinny-Thanks! I'm sure small bolts would work. I used a cheapo hand riveter that cost @ $15. I had one cook on a windy day where I had a tough time keeping my temps down. I'm thinking I need some sort of gasket or hi-temp silicone around the edge to seal things up a little better.

Heisenberger-Thanks! My lower rack is 8" down from the rim which is 24" from the bottom of my basket. I'm only 3 cooks in, but haven't noticed any issues with edges overcooking.

I'm only on page 328 of this thread, but who could get that far and NOT start building? (Ok, I peeked at the end, so I know who did it...)

Well, I got the UD part, now I gotta turn it into an S. Found several drums at the local scrap yard ($8 apiece,) and grabbed the one with the least amount of rust on it. I think it held hydraulic fluid, but not 100% certain. Gonna drill it and do a better job of grinding the lip on the rim of the drum, then burn it this weekend.

Monday I'm taking it to a local sandblasting company to get the bejeebers blasted out of it. I figure for the $25 he quoted me on the job, it's well worth it.

I have a neighbor who's going to weld the 3/4 close black iron nipples into it for me, then the whole shebang will get paint. Haven't decided on a paint job yet, but I'll be using a black Weber lid on it, so it'll be something that'll go with that.

I know, I know - pics or it didn't happen. Well, here ya go - it happened...

Attachments

• UD 1.jpg
    UD 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 817
  • UD 4.jpg
    UD 4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 816
  • UD 6.jpg
    UD 6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 816
I picked up 2 new metal drums with no liner for $30 each. (Posted in another thread).

I also scored some cheap expanded metal to make my baskets. I went to a local steel supply store and picked up two 12" x 48" sheets (enough to 2 baskets) for a total of $15. If you have a steel supply store in your town, see if they have remnants, that's why mine was so cheap. It would have cost me $40 for that amount of metal at HD.

I picked up 2 new metal drums with no liner for $30 each. (Posted in another thread).

I also scored some cheap expanded metal to make my baskets. I went to a local steel supply store and picked up two 12" x 48" sheets (enough to 2 baskets) for a total of $15. If you have a steel supply store in your town, see if they have remnants, that's why mine was so cheap. It would have cost me $40 for that amount of metal at HD.

Like you barrels. I also see your from Sac as I am close by. You mention you bought your expanded metal from a steel supply store. I was wondering if that might have been Blue Collar in Sac. I was going to go up there to check for some as well and was wondering if this was where you went.

Like you barrels. I also see your from Sac as I am close by. You mention you bought your expanded metal from a steel supply store. I was wondering if that might have been Blue Collar in Sac. I was going to go up there to check for some as well and was wondering if this was where you went.

I got my metal from S&K Steel here in Sacramento. They had A LOT of expanded metal remnants. They also have a lot of remnant steel pieces that you might get creative and use on your UDS somehow. Good luck!

I got my metal from S&K Steel here in Sacramento. They had A LOT of expanded metal remnants. They also have a lot of remnant steel pieces that you might get creative and use on your UDS somehow. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I will look into this for sure. Trying to convince the wife that a 3rd barrel is needed lol.

Got me some new gadgets for my UDS build..

DFB6A0F4-D4AF-486B-B380-FF94B48DE299-9119-00000129D979EC33_zpsb153daaf.jpg

211CCE7C-FE7B-4E50-B846-AC06D3722EF9-9119-0000013D7C5396B6_zps8df6aebc.jpg

9447D77B-A340-4EA8-A88E-4BDCA2F0E336-9119-0000013D8CB8EE63_zps3bf3412b.jpg

Nice work! I dont' have a riveter, but would simple nuts and bolts work? I guess i'd have to add washers to prevent air leaks?

I did the same with mine, but with 3/4"l x 1/4"d stainless nuts and bolts. I C-clamped the aluminum bar to the outside of the drum first, then bent it around the drum, clamping every 8 or 10 inches to get the aluminum formed. Trimmed the excess and squoze it into the inside of the drum. I drilled bolt-holes in the drum first then marked the aluminum for matching holes. After they were drilled, I had some problems with the holes lining up and had to re-drill a few. I would recommend you just clamp the aluminum strip inside the drum once you have it formed and trimmed and drill through both in one go.
My strip protrudes about 3/8" above the drum lip - if I do a future UDS I'd go 1/2" or 5/8"
I also used red hi-temp silicon to seal.

I did the same with mine, but with 3/4"l x 1/4"d stainless nuts and bolts. I C-clamped the aluminum bar to the outside of the drum first, then bent it around the drum, clamping every 8 or 10 inches to get the aluminum formed. Trimmed the excess and squoze it into the inside of the drum. I drilled bolt-holes in the drum first then marked the aluminum for matching holes. After they were drilled, I had some problems with the holes lining up and had to re-drill a few. I would recommend you just clamp the aluminum strip inside the drum once you have it formed and trimmed and drill through both in one go.
My strip protrudes about 3/8" above the drum lip - if I do a future UDS I'd go 1/2" or 5/8"
I also used red hi-temp silicon to seal.

I am building my first UDS and have the same issue with the Uniflame lid being too small to fit. Here is the link to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2475371&posted=1#post2475371

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about welding the Uniflame dome to the original drum lid. My drum lid has a nice tight seal. The real issue may be whether I am a good enough welder to weld two THIN pieces of metal together. I have had lots of practice in the last couple of days and have gotten much better. I know there was someone who did this and I was hoping they would chime in. It it really difficult to weld the two together. I was planning on spot welding in 4 places and then doing very short spot welds around the perimeter, maybe 2 seconds for each spot.

Or would it be easier to just buy a piece of metal or aluminum and bend it inside the drum like in the above posts?

Anyone with experience welding the two pieces together? I am using flux core. I don't have a bottle of gas yet.

By the way this thread ROCKS!!
Thank you all so much for your help. I hope some others find what I have done to be useful too.

I am building my first UDS and have the same issue with the Uniflame lid being too small to fit. Here is the link to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2475371&posted=1#post2475371

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about welding the Uniflame dome to the original drum lid. My drum lid has a nice tight seal. The real issue may be whether I am a good enough welder to weld two THIN pieces of metal together. I have had lots of practice in the last couple of days and have gotten much better. I know there was someone who did this and I was hoping they would chime in. It it really difficult to weld the two together. I was planning on spot welding in 4 places and then doing very short spot welds around the perimeter, maybe 2 seconds for each spot.

Or would it be easier to just buy a piece of metal or aluminum and bend it inside the drum like in the above posts?

Anyone with experience welding the two pieces together? I am using flux core. I don't have a bottle of gas yet.

By the way this thread ROCKS!!
Thank you all so much for your help. I hope some others find what I have done to be useful too.

I've seen here in this thread what you're thinking of doing, but I don't remember if they've welded or bolted lid.

I think it's a good idea

Here it is:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77856

Back