• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another Newbie Question on RF design smoker

Day

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys question about the flue pipe. Can it run horizontal to the baffle just above cooking grate and straight out the side of the chamber? Or should it run vertical and then 90 out the side or straight through the top? Not sure if it makes a difference. I want to get this as close to right on the first try! Thanks

It will make a huge difference where you place the bottom of the exhaust pipe, on mine I placed it flushed with the top, the lower you place the bottom of the pipe the more heat and smoke build up in the chamber, I was after a clean burn so no part of mine extends down inside the cooker. My thought was I could also add an adjustable sleeve at a later date if it did not work like I envisioned. The only draw-back I have now is the pit is a wood hog!!

I thought the bottom of the pipe was just above cooking
grate?

Hey guys question about the flue pipe. Can it run horizontal to the baffle just above cooking grate and straight out the side of the chamber? Or should it run vertical and then 90 out the side or straight through the top? Not sure if it makes a difference. I want to get this as close to right on the first try! Thanks

It won't really make a difference. I've built 2 RF, 1 has the the pipe entering the cook chamber horizontal to and just above the cooking grate then makes a 90 and the smokestack runs vertical, the other enters vertically from the top of the cook chamber and extends down and the opening is just above grate level. The important thing is having the air intake right and the diameter of the smokestack right so you have a clean burning fire. Getting the draft right is the most important thing.

I built mine with the flue pipe extending into the cook chamber to just above the top cooking grate, about 5 inches. This seems to work out and I get good clean smoke, but I would be afraid to go any deeper than about the midpoint of the cook chamber; afraid you might get a lot of stale nasty smoke trapped in there. Just my $0.02.

Back