Pizza FAIL/Pizza Kettle oven build WIN

garzanium

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I wanted to try my hand at pizza outdoors.. looked up the kettlepizza...thats $150 for a piece of aluminum:eek:
Decided it would be super easy to build one...already had this piece of barrel precut from a seperate project..measured perfect for my need.

Cut,grind hi temp paint...done!

Wish I could say the same for the pizza...burned the entire bottom crust BAD...Blame the cast iron skillet, or excessive high temp(no thermometer...but I used lump coal.)?was i suppose to indirect cook?

Regardless..I wont quit...gonna find me a pizza stone. Any recommendations on size/where to acquire?

20130313_171842_zpsa92db513.jpg

20130313_174943_zps9d02e812.jpg

paint
20130313_175416_zps733367c4.jpg

20130313_190347_zps92c8331b.jpg

20130313_202311_zps4a388188.jpg

20130313_203836_zpsece7a1c2.jpg

Sent from Galaxy tab

Nice work. You need to go indirect unless you get you pizza up a lot higher. Even it at that you still may need indirect. I usuall make a ring of charcoal when using my kettle for pizza.
What's the height on your insert?

Your pizza is close to the fire, and your dome is far from the fire, so your crust burned before your toppings were cooked. And, from the pr0n, that looks like a thick pizza, so you really need time for it to cook from above, without burning the bottom.

You need to reduce the heat that gets to the bottom of the crust, so that the heat in the dome can cook the pizza. A stone will help a lot. But, you may need more than that, considering how high your dome is. If I were cooking a pizza in a CI pan, I'd put the pan on top of a pizza stone.

Running your coals around the outer ring of the kettle may help, too.

Basically, you need to try to balance the heat from the bottom more with the heat from above you pizza, IMO.

CD

Your pizza is close to the fire, and your dome is far from the fire, so your crust burned before your toppings were cooked. And, from the pr0n, that looks like a thick pizza, so you really need time for it to cook from above, without burning the bottom.

You need to reduce the heat that gets to the bottom of the crust, so that the heat in the dome can cook the pizza. A stone will help a lot. But, you may need more than that, considering how high your dome is. If I were cooking a pizza in a CI pan, I'd put the pan on top of a pizza stone.

Running your coals around the outer ring of the kettle may help, too.

Basically, you need to try to balance the heat from the bottom more with the heat from above you pizza, IMO.

CD

I agree. Also...you may want to buy a couple bricks and place them on the grate and pizza stone on that to raise your pizza closer to the dome

this makes perfect sense now guys-thanks for the insight and direction...The insert is 12 inches total. Im thinking cutting it down to 7 inches in height..or maybe even 6. thanks again-will post a pizza WIN soon.

tomorrow we are doing steak and hotdogs...so thay will be an automatic WIN for the week! Will be my first time using my Grillgrates on streak...so im excited:)

Sent from Galaxy tab

Along with those suggestions I want to say that the idea is brilliant! I want one!

Buy a box of firebrick. The will help control your temp and give you a surface for a pan. They are cheaper than a comparable thickness pizza stone.

this makes perfect sense now guys-thanks for the insight and direction...The insert is 12 inches total. Im thinking cutting it down to 7 inches in height..or maybe even 6. thanks again-will post a pizza WIN soon.

tomorrow we are doing steak and hotdogs...so thay will be an automatic WIN for the week! Will be my first time using my Grillgrates on streak...so im excited:)

Sent from Galaxy tab

sweet! I just got a set of second hand grill grates but haven't been able to use them yet. Can't wait to see how your cook goes

Buy a box of firebrick. The will help control your temp and give you a surface for a pan. They are cheaper than a comparable thickness pizza stone.

im all about buying stuff that has multiple uses..this makes sense and yes...pizza stones are like $30 it looks like. Have been surfing online and there is a restaurant supply store locally that sells deep dish pans that I can set on top of the brick.

Sent from Galaxy tab

Unless you can find a way to move the heat across the top of the pizza and out the opening, I don't know that you won't continue to have the same problem. You could make a thinner, NY neopolitan style pizza and that would help, but you'd still have the issue of the bottom cooking much faster than the top.

Wow, I've been thinking of something like this and here you went and pioneered a build:clap:! Like the other brothers said, get something in between your grate/fire and your pizza stone. After burning the hell out of my firse couple crusts, I used suggestions from several who use fire bricks and make a base for the stone, worked great and my pizza's are turning out much better. I use an Emil Henry glazed ceramic round stone that is made for high direct heat - not just for pizza, I get amazing sear on scallops & blackened redfish! Lodge makes a CI "stone" that looks really neat also. Good luck!

You need a heat diverter, you don't want your pizza to be directly exposed to the heat source.

I love my KettlePizza, and this looks like a nice build. I would do what you are thinking of. Cut it down to 7", and then follow the "how-to" of the KettlePizza and build a "C" of charcoal along the back, add a couple pieces of chunk wood, and use a pizza stone to help even it all out. Overall it's good looking (and affordable) alternative!

Thanks. .here is a sneak peak at version 2.0:) now shorter and with legs on the inside to keep the insert from shifting.

Just awaiting the fire brick..will post a win thread when I get the first pie cooked on 2.0

20130316_194845_zps9b4aa9cb.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back