WSM options

M

mcgrathc20

I have a Brinkman ECB which I don't really have positive results with. But I have a Weber OTG with the smokenator and have great results with that.

I want to move up to the WSM but not sure if I should go with the 18.5 or 22.5, thoughts?

The 22.5 has more capacity, but also uses more fuel. You have to match cooker size to your cook size.

Since I rarely do large cooks, I went with an 18.5, and if I need extra capacity, I can use one of my OTGs or mini-WSM. I think I've only had to do that once in about two years.

CD

Spend the extra $100 on the 22". They can be fuel hogs, but you could purchase a charcoal ring for an 18" that would still give good results but would be more fuel efficient than the one that comes with the 22".

If you're handy you can modify your ECB and turn it into a good smoker. Then you have no excuse but to get the bigger WSM. And then there's always the UDS option if you don't want to spend that kind of money.

^^^ That's what i did. Bought the 22" and the charcoal ring for an 18" for the smaller cooks. The 22" has a lot more room for ribs.

Go with the 18.5" if you aren't planning on doing big cooks. If you do end up or think you will end up doing big cooks for family parties then go with the 22.5".

Or get the 18.5" and then use the rest of the money in you budget for the 22.5" and invest it in building a 55 gal UDS. Then you can use the WSM for smaller cooks and when the in-laws come over you can roll out the UDS and cook for a party.

The 22 is not just for big cooks, but cooking big pieces of meat. A slab of ribs, without shortening will not fit on an 18 and neither will a big packer without draping over something like a rib rack.

Go for the 22, you won't be disappointed for an extra $100.

I kow someone who is selling a slightly used 22.5 WSM **wink wink**

I have both sized WSMs, and I use them both.
If I had to have one, I'd get the 22 1/2" model.

I struggled with the same decision last yr and ended up with the 18.5 and am quite happy.
I was helping my sister move this weekend and some how got talked into bringing my wsm down for Easter and cooking this yr.. At first I thought ok no prob. until last night the wife told me I should do 3 or 4 butts and 2 hams:wacko:
I got thinking about it today and it will be fine. I should be able to do 4 butts at once and they can rest while the hams are on. Heck i may even toss on a few rack of ribs while the hams are going to nibble on later in the evening

I have had an 18.5 WSM for years and it has been plenty big enough to do ribs, full packer briskets and a pile of pork butts. Or should I say it was big enough to do all those things until the 22.5 came out. Now my smoker is too small and I have a bad case of WSM smoker envy. I am just having a hard time convincing the Mrs. that I need a new smoker.

If I had the option, I would definitely go with the 22.5. There have been lots of times when I really could have used the extra room.

Get the 22.5 incher...if you have the 22.5 and you want to use less fuel, you have options.

I went with the 22" and rarely do I ever use the smaller ring to go along with it, but it's nice to have it in case I need it. I have used it a couple of times, but generally it's during chicken cooks.

I started with an 18.5" and when I needed more room, I just bought more WSMs.

I have cooked 6 butts on one 18.5" WSM and I can do 12 racks of St. Louis trimmed spares on a WSM (if they're not comp ribs).

Never really felt the need to go with a 22.5".

Regardless of size, you will not go wrong with a WSM.

I have 2 - 22.5" Wsm . I like them but I gave away my 18" Wsm when I won my second 22.5 . I wish I had never given it away . My 22 cook great but I think the vent holes on top are not big enough to draw enough air to fuel the fire when it is really coal out side . When it is cold out side the 22 has a hard time getting over 190 degrees when all vents are wide open . I never had this issue with the 18. If you have a guru you will never have this issue . But the WSM is set it and forget it . Very easy to use .

Wife is getting me (with help from the folks) a 22.5" WSM for me burfday.

I managed to score (waiting for delivery) a SJG so I am planning on buying a tamale pot and converting it to a mini-WSM.

That way I have the 22 for my "party" cooks, the OTS for grilling and family cooks, and finally the SJG for the "solo" cooks.

I got the 18.5 WSM and later wanted the 22.5. What I ended up doing was getting the Cajun Bandit conversion kit and put it on one of my kettles. I'm quite pleased with it.

I got the 18.5 WSM and later wanted the 22.5. What I ended up doing was getting the Cajun Bandit conversion kit and put it on one of my kettles. I'm quite pleased with it.

Great decision. You can pack alot O meat into an 18 when you want to. your gonna Love it! :clap2::clap2:

I went with the 22.5 and love it. Actually, I ordered it from Amazon without comparing the two side-by-side. I was in the hardware store the other day and saw the 18.5 live and in person and there really is a big difference. Like Rocky standing next to Thunderlips. I like having the room to lay my ribs down flat and they fit easily in the 22.5.

That being said, there is a 18.5 on Craigslist in my area right now I'm thinking of buying. Do I need it? No. But that's not the point.

Back