World Food Championship Automatics

from the link:

NEBS

Grillin’ on the Bay – Brooklyn, NY
Polish BBQ Battle - Gardner, MA

Interesting choices. Nothing against those events but I would think they choose larger events as qualifiers for something like a world food championship.

Interesting choices. Nothing against those events but I would think they choose larger events as qualifiers for something like a world food championship.

It's also interesting that they'll just open the flood gates and let anyone in when they don't get enough teams..at least that's what they did last year..so these auto's don't really mean anything..we won an auto and cooked this event last year..I wouldn't go back even if the entry was free.

Last year we had to pay entry, travel, lodging......at least they changed that part this year
As for us returning if we had the chance I would say highly unlikey....format of the contest stunk, cooking big meats on two seperate days...cmon

See several BBQ Associations that have contests included as qualifiers, wonder why no one ever contacted anyone from the Great Lakes BBQ Association to see about participation?
Cost us a whole lot of money to make the trip from Michigan to Vegas last year to compete.

Based on the Grand Champions of the following events:

Central MD Swinetastic - Frederick, MD

Sucks, says the 2012 Swinetastic GC. A year late and a good cook short. :p

Ya I know what ya mean. I won the previous year of a 2012 qualifier. I was one of the lowlife 'wild card' teams that they opened the floodgates for. I would have never done it had I known I was one of the ones taking away from the integraty of the comp.
I figured when there were teams manuvering what comp to choose to sign up from so other teams could get in. It was fair game.

I'll go back in a heartbeat.......but only if I qualify.

Let me just say that the quality of the competition was top notch. There was a real lack of information in a timely manner. When we qualified in July we started asking for information and didnt get answers until late September/October. There was a lot of confusion in general even on what food was supposed to be turned in when, and how much sauce we had to turn in.

BBQ was definitely not The Main Event. Much more attention was paid to the Sandwich and other categories. The Chili cooks got a lot of stuff provided for them while we got nothing but a small little bag with a few samples of spices in it.

I also think that the Competitors should have been allowed a free entry into the VIP events, rather than having to pay a discounted rate of $50.00 per event.

Would I do it again ? probably, because it is rare that you get to cook against that level of competition outside of the Royal Invitational and The Jack. I do question why each state cannot be represented by a qualifying contest....

"Why would I go back?"

We lived it up for 5+ days, 3 of which I spent in the back of a Uhaul truck just off the Strip in Sin City without regret. We got to compete against some of the best cook teams in America. I spent countless hours talking to other teams, socializing and just plain out having fun. When I was bored I would grab a beer and walk the Strip to look at the native/non-native wildlife. Never once did I feel out of place.

Based on what I saw and who I talked with before,during and after the event, changes will be made for the better. I would bet on that.

"Was is a perfect contest?" Hell no. "Was it fun?" Hell yes. But, then again, life is what you make it. Here I am at VIP party in my Sunday best. Never once did anyone hesitate to say "Damn you need a shower...even though I really did...."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqjsbrt5ee4pf81/2012-11-03%2019.29.51.jpg

2012-11-03%2019.29.51.jpg

Back