Grease Fire in the UDS

Grizzly6

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
HOLY BUCKETS!!!

I cooked a spatchcocked chicken, some thighs and a naked fatty this weekend. I left it run a couple of hours without paying attention to it and the temp ran up on me to about 375 for some time. I went out to check on it and say the thighs and fatty were really dark and the internal was about 195... little high I know, but I am glad it was not more expensive meat.

When the top was off it starte to flame up, while pulling the meat off the fire started to grow. Once the meat was off I let the fire burn and it raged for about an hour or so. Ended up burning all the grease off the inside of the barrel. Probably a good thing to do everyonce in a while, but I have some scraping left to do prior to the next cook.

Yep. If you casually pop open a beer right after it gets going, that is a classic controlled cleaning right there.

Do you not put a tray on a second grate underneath the cooking grate so that it can catch dripping? This way the fat rendering doesn't drip directly onto the coal or onto the diffuser above the coals.

This is when I use a water bowl. Especially when doing chix and ABTs or anything else bacon related. Don't ask how I know.

Do you not put a tray on a second grate underneath the cooking grate so that it can catch dripping? This way the fat rendering doesn't drip directly onto the coal or onto the diffuser above the coals.

No, I might in the future...

I have heard one of the great features of the UDS is when the grease falls into the fire and "flavorizes" the meat. It has worked great until I put 4 racks of ribs around the outside of the barrel and the drippings fell outside of the fire and the grease caught fire then. I smothered it then, but I should have let it burn at that time.

You might want to close down the bottom inlets for 5 min before you pop the lid, it helps when cooking HnF.

Back