CyberQ WiFi Web Service Info (Super Nerdy)

I got my unit on Friday, and it's proven to be very finnicky. I have an iPhone, a Mac desktop and a Mac lap top. All three devices could see the cyberq wi-fi network, but only the iphone could connect to its web page. the other two would constantly time out without bringing the page up.

The very frustrating thing though, is I simply could not get the unit to be handshake with my router in infrastructure mode, and I have exactly the same setup that the user manual uses as an example--Verizon Fios, with that same router. Once I apply the settings and reboot the cyberQ, it simply does not connect to my router. I've waited five minutes, I've waited two hours--no impact. If anyone has any advice, i'm all ears. My router is aboout five years old--i don't know if that matters or not.

I got my unit on Friday, and it's proven to be very finnicky. I have an iPhone, a Mac desktop and a Mac lap top. All three devices could see the cyberq wi-fi ... If anyone has any advice, i'm all ears. My router is aboout five years old--i don't know if that matters or not.

I have a new Cisco/Linksys router. I have not been able to get infrastructure mode to work. Therefore, apps are of no value to me; much less expensive products could have and should have been purchased that will achieve the same performance as Adhoc. I was very excited about the promise of the technology. It has proven unable to deliver on the promise.

If you find a working solution, let us know. Don't be surprised if the benefits of infrastructure mode prove to be unobtainable.

Melvin, I have the same set up as you and have had the same issue. Re-start the router.Don't reset it, just re-start. Unplug it for 15 seconds and plug it back in.

I tried the re-start of the router a few days ago, with no success. I'll give it another whirl.

After you did the re-start, did you reset to factory settings and repeat the infrastructure setup steps, or did the unit immediately handshake with the router?

I restarted the router after everything was set up for infrastructure. I did this because no matter what I did, they just wouldn't talk. I did not adjust anything on the GURU and after the reset, everything worked. Had to do this 2x. Once with the original firmware and again with the new firmware.

Uploaded a new version of the BBQMonitor for Android since the old one timed out today. This one will go until Dec 18. Lots of new changes, only display 2 gauges per page now swiping left/right cycles through them. Also you can update almost all of the CyberQ Parameters from the App.

chart

Download

Enjoy!
Chad

BBQRemote

I'm also having problems downloading the app. I've sent my UDID and follow the link on the web page I get an error that the app can't be downloaded at this time. Anybody able to install it successfully?

I am interested in the CyberQ Wifi as well, because my Maverick doesn't work in my home office in the 2nd floor whereas my cooking area is on the lowest deck of our hillside estate.

Too bad that it has to be a Windows-only software, because we don't have a single machine running a M$ OS here, but different versions of Debian/Ubuntu Linux instead. Can't the software be made platform independent, which would also allow the Apple Mac users to participate?

At least there is now an Android app available, because I was fearing an iOs-only version.

I am not a programmer, so I can not contribute. If it's just not possible to make the software platform independent, I'd rather play around with a shell script than trying to get it going with WINE somehow (but I guess it's a no-go anyway due to the .Net stuff).

Anyway keep up the good work, I'll follow this thread, although I am still not fully convinced to invest in a CyberQ right now, because it is really expensive with shipping to Austria/Europe. I wish the CyberQ developers would participate here in this thread, as I find it a little odd, that they do not have any software and phone app for their product themselves at hands.

I am interested in the CyberQ Wifi as well, because my Maverick doesn't work in my home office in the 2nd floor whereas my cooking area is on the lowest deck of our hillside estate.

Too bad that it has to be a Windows-only software, because we don't have a single machine running a M$ OS here, but different versions of Debian/Ubuntu Linux instead. Can't the software be made platform independent, which would also allow the Apple Mac users to participate?

At least there is now an Android app available, because I was fearing an iOs-only version.

I am not a programmer, so I can not contribute. If it's just not possible to make the software platform independent, I'd rather play around with a shell script than trying to get it going with WINE somehow (but I guess it's a no-go anyway due to the .Net stuff).

Anyway keep up the good work, I'll follow this thread, although I am still not fully convinced to invest in a CyberQ right now, because it is really expensive with shipping to Austria/Europe. I wish the CyberQ developers would participate here in this thread, as I find it a little odd, that they do not have any software and phone app for their product themselves at hands.

Well keep in mind out of the box there is a html interface that works as long as you have a browser and ip connection to the CyberQ, you don't 'need' any of this fancy .net/ios/android stuff to make really good use out of the CyberQ. Once you get it all setup it's pretty much set and forget anyway.

Chad

Well keep in mind out of the box there is a html interface that works as long as you have a browser and ip connection to the CyberQ, you don't 'need' any of this fancy .net/ios/android stuff to make really good use out of the CyberQ. Once you get it all setup it's pretty much set and forget anyway.
I know, but the possibility of logging cooks with analyzes and graphs is in intriguing.

The program uses the .Net Framework 4.5 which will not run on XP or below.
Rick

I received my new CyberQ Wifi this last week & tried it out yesterday. It already had firmware 1.1 installed, so I didn't need to do that. I tried installing Palms software on my XP computer but kept getting an error on opening that it wasn't a true 32 bit application. I was able to get infrastucture set up & working, so I just kept track of it with the web page app & my ipod, kept logged times, etc manually in excell. It worked great! Got a full 6 hours (versus 4-5 hrs) in my old modded SNPP using lump in charcoal basket, & have some left over after it choked out. Today I installed Palms software on my other Vista Basic computer I have & the install of the program went flawlessly. Although I didn't fire up the smoker, everything seems to work perfectly with the probes & fan plugged in. Quick response with changing set temps, etc. Thanks Rick for your work on this.

To the others having trouble with infrastructure..I also thought mine wouldn't connect after first setting it up. After getting fed up, I walked away from it for a while, came back 15 minutes later & it had finally found my network & connected. For some reason, it takes a long time, sometimes 15-20 minutes to connect. I don't know if there's something I'm not setting correctly yet, but it does connect finally & stays connected. Are any of you out there also experiencing this?

There is another user running it successfully on Mac using a Fusion VM running Windows 7.

Rick

I wonder if the guys at Guru have looked at a possibility of going with a new hardware platform for say CyberQ 2.0 utilizing the Raspberry PI platform. It's cheap enough, at $25 a unit and having seen a few already home DIY projects for home brewers using it for Temp and fan controls I thought might be an idea.

Once I settle on a Smoker I already know I am going with a CyberQ ... until I read this forum I was worried I was going to have to code an Android App interface but looks like that was taken care of by Chad (thanks) and Palmtree - dude that windows app is tight! Thanks for all your hard work. (Sorry not an Apple user - lol)

Gerry

I wonder if the guys at Guru have looked at a possibility of going with a new hardware platform for say CyberQ 2.0 utilizing the Raspberry PI platform. It's cheap enough, at $25 a unit and having seen a few already home DIY projects for home brewers using it for Temp and fan controls I thought might be an idea.

Once I settle on a Smoker I already know I am going with a CyberQ ... until I read this forum I was worried I was going to have to code an Android App interface but looks like that was taken care of by Chad (thanks) and Palmtree - dude that windows app is tight! Thanks for all your hard work. (Sorry not an Apple user - lol)

Gerry

It's overkill. Arduino/Rasberry PI all that stuff is great for prototyping/hobby but for production use there is to much 'stuff' on those that's just not needed. I bet with the WiFi it cost cyberq less than $50 to have built in china case sensors, lcd and all. What you are really paying for is their firmware and all the PID tuning they did. Let me know how the Android app works for you and what features you'd like to see, I can always add ideas to the list.

Got my CyberQ Wifi this week. It came with Firmware v1.1. The faceplate of my unit has a bit of a different look to it than the ones I've seen.

cyberqwifipic.jpg

This thing is a breeze to set up. I powered it on, connected to it directly with an iPad(the Guru comes set in ad hoc mode), and immediately went into the Wifi Setup. I changed it over to infrastructure mode, typed in my router's SSID and password, submitted the values and rebooted the device.

Gave the CyberQ a minute or so to boot up, logged into my router(DIR-655), and could see the Cyberq was connected as it was listed under my router's wireless clients info. I then assigned the CyberQ Wifi's MAC a static IP address from my router, and forwarded Port 80 to the Guru's static IP, and BOOM, I can connect to and configure the CyberQ Wifi from anywhere!

It took me maybe all of 5 minutes to complete. I wish all of my electronic gadgets ect. would "just work" the way this thing does! :eusa_clap I envisioned a lot of troubleshooting.

Now, onto the apps discussed here.

First off, I installed palmtreefrb's Windows controller software on my desktop PC. Everytime I launch it, it gives me the following error message:

cyberqwifiwindowscontro.jpg

I click "Continue" on the error box and it disappears. From that point the program appears to run fine. I typed in my Guru's IP address and the controller software immediately connected to it and started reading the temp probes etc. Now, after clicking the "Stop Cook" button, when I try to close out of the program I get another error:

I have to go into the Windows Task Manager in order to shut the program down.

Moving on to HKChad's CyberQ BBQ Monitor for Android.

I installed the app on my Droid Charge, typed in my router's WAN IP address into the "Server Name" setting under Preferences, and let 'r rip. The app picked up my CyberQ Wifi right away. No glitches, it works great!

Oh, and I decided to purchase this little accessory for the CyberQ Wifi when I ordered it.

onyxovenpic.jpg

:becky:

Big thanks to HKChad and Palmtreefrb for all the work you guys have done creating the apps for the CyberQ Wifi etc. Much appreciated!

All in all, I can't wait to cook with my new gear!

Last edited:
Gnomatic, try right click run as administrator. If that doesn't work Rick will have to help.

I don't know why, but some users have to set the application properties to "Run as administrator"

There are two places you can set this. On the Desktop icon or in the executing program folder. Depending on your version of windows it can be

C:\Program Files (x86)\wedonet
or
C:\Program Files\wedonet

Right click, select Properties, select Compatibility tab then Check "Run this program as administrator""

run_as_administrtor_2.png

Got my CyberQ Wifi this week. It came with Firmware v1.1. The faceplate of my unit has a bit of a different look to it than the ones I've seen.

cyberqwifipic.jpg

This thing is a breeze to set up. I powered it on, connected to it directly with an iPad(the Guru comes set in ad hoc mode), and immediately went into the Wifi Setup. I changed it over to infrastructure mode, typed in my router's SSID and password, submitted the values and rebooted the device.

Gave the CyberQ a minute or so to boot up, logged into my router(DIR-655), and could see the Cyberq was connected as it was listed under my router's wireless clients info. I then assigned the CyberQ Wifi's MAC a static IP address from my router, and forwarded Port 80 to the Guru's static IP, and BOOM, I can connect to and configure the CyberQ Wifi from anywhere!

It took me maybe all of 5 minutes to complete. I wish all of my electronic gadgets ect. would "just work" the way this thing does! :eusa_clap I envisioned a lot of troubleshooting.

Now, onto the apps discussed here.

First off, I installed palmtreefrb's Windows controller software on my desktop PC. Everytime I launch it, it gives me the following error message:

Clicking on the "Details," gives me the following:

I click "Continue" on the error box and it disappears. From that point the program appears to run fine. I typed in my Guru's IP address and the controller software immediately connected to it and started reading the temp probes etc. Now, after clicking the "Stop Cook" button, when I try to close out of the program I get another error:

Clicking on the "Details," I get:

I have to go into the Windows Task Manager in order to shut the program down.

Moving on to HKChad's CyberQ BBQ Monitor for Android.

I installed the app on my Droid Charge, typed in my router's WAN IP address into the "Server Name" setting under Preferences, and let 'r rip. The app picked up my CyberQ Wifi right away. No glitches, it works great!

Oh, and I decided to purchase this little accessory for the CyberQ Wifi when I ordered it.

onyxovenpic.jpg

:becky:

Big thanks to HKChad and Palmtreefrb for all the work you guys have done creating the apps for the CyberQ Wifi etc. Much appreciated!

All in all, I can't wait to cook with my new gear!

Back