practice pork arrangement

rooftop bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im working on a new presentition for my comp box. What do you judges think of this layout. I know its not on a parsley but hey its on a green square plate (close enough)

Attachments

• pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 390
I'm thinkin' 7-8 on appearance. Just doesn't pop out & say "Eat Me!". The sauce seems to be a bit distracting to me. Would like to see more bark on the bottom pieces. As far as just the layout. Might work... Cheers!!!

I was going for tube meat on the bottom corner(was 1 piece short) and bark chunks on top corner. would it help to put the bark pieces in front of the money muscle

I was going for tube meat on the bottom corner(was 1 piece short) and bark chunks on top corner. would it help to put the bark pieces in front of the money muscle
Maybe, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to taste the "tube meat" through all the sauce, no?

Wow. Too bad you couldn't glaze that sauce on it but you can't in KCBS. My first impression was that looks delicious.

I like originality and it would be 8 or 9 with me but I would never try it myself knowing that half of the judges out there are old sticks in the mud. They expect the same layout over and over again. If not, then you are some whipper snapper that is trying to change the game.

Andy, that looks real good. It does look a little oversauced though.
I wonder if there would be more room in a styro box, then you can fill it with more chunks and tube pieces, because it looks like not enough.

I like originality and it would be 8 or 9 with me but I would never try it myself knowing that half of the judges out there are old sticks in the mud. They expect the same layout over and over again. If not, then you are some whipper snapper that is trying to change the game.

guess I am an old judge(and cook) and really enjoy someone changing the look in the box---but it seems it usually isn't done with enuf finesse(or maybe foresight) and the appearance scores suffer

Suggestion from my cook's hat, not my judge's hat.

Right or wrong, judges like bark and color (smoke ring).

The front row could benefit from more of that.

The meat looks "YUMMY" to me. :-D

TIM

In a box as stated I think you would want a little more quantity to fill in the box and a little more bark up fromt but for a plate experiment I think you are on a good path and that could be a 9. keith

Looks good to me... Some of you guys must have been judge 1 from my last comp! Lol. A real hard arse!

Way oversauced for me, but, the money muscle is gorgeous.

I dont know about "way", but definitely oversauced. Mind you, much of this could be regional. Guerre and I come from this deep south region where the better pork stands alone and has sauce on the side, so we may be very regionally biased this way.

I also agree with The Kapn. Lets see a little more smoke ring. The MM looks WONDERFUL. Old school methodology (mind you, this comes mainly from un-garnished sanctioning bodies) would say "fill the box with meat". With garnish, not necessarily true, but you dont want a box with a little meat and a lot of garnish. I think you'll need more meat in that box that what you're displaying here.

Best of luck!

Back