• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pancetta question

duwed

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Has anyone made their own pancetta? If so, what would be the best recipe to follow
Thanks in advance
Hardwoodcooker

Has anyone made their own pancetta? If so, what would be the best recipe to follow
Thanks in advance
Hardwoodcooker
Yep.
5lb skinned pork belly

4 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cure #1
1/4 cup table salt
2 Tbl brown sugar
4 Tbl coarse black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 tsp nutmeg
fresh thyme or rosemary

Combine ingredients using half the black pepper. Put spicemix and belly in large plastic bag, mix around and refrigerate. Squoose the meat around in the bag every couple days.

After 7 days remove belly from bag and rinse then dry. Coat with more black pepper, roll and tie. Hang in a cool dark place for at least a week, maybe 2. You can skip the drying but the flavor won't be as concentrated.

P1100866.jpg

Ignorant question. I have my first roll of pancetta hung and drying. After it's dried, if I cut off the twine, does it hold its rolled round shape even through slicing?

And how thick do you guys slice pancetta?

seattlepitboss

Lots of recipes on google. The link below provides one that I have used.

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/pancetta-easiest-cured-meat-of-all.html

I cure mine flat. I cannot tell you how much we use in our cooking. Great product. One of my favourite dishes with pancetta is mussels. Sweat pancetta, add chopped onions & a chillie or two. Big splash of white wine or verjuice. Add tomato purée or chopped tomato. When boiling vigously add mussels, put on lid, cook until opening - a couple of minutes.
John

Back