Southern California $.99/lb Spares

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A heads up to everyone in So Cal. Spares are on sale starting today at Ralphs grocery stores at .99 cents a pound. A damn good price if you ask me.

Thanks, I saw the ad but have not been to the market yet. I hope they're not the one's that come in frozen 10lb boxes from Denmark. I've had mixed results with those before and the racks were very small. They tend to bring these out once or twice every year. Vons market too, same product.

Thanks, I saw the ad but have not been to the market yet. I hope they're not the one's that come in frozen 10lb boxes from Denmark. I've had mixed results with those before and the racks were very small. They tend to bring these out once or twice every year. Vons market too, same product.

I got those for labor day and they were very disappointing. Extremely small.

"Denmark Alert"..."Denmark Alert"....... Although I thought only Vons sold the Dennies?.

It does say "FRESH" spare ribs, does that not mean anything? I thought they can't mark previously frozen as "fresh".

Anyways, so what's the problem with these Denmark ribs? They're just small or is the flavor lacking too?

I just spoke with the butcher. He said they are expecting a shipment of fresh spares tomorrow morning, most likely farmer john brand. If that is the case, I'm loading up big time. :thumb:

I just spoke with the butcher. He said they are expecting a shipment of fresh spares tomorrow morning, most likely farmer john brand. If that is the case, I'm loading up big time. :thumb:

Ok, I'm buying then! :-D

Just picked up some slabs a few minutes ago. They are not Farmer John. They are Prairie Fresh brand, cryovac.

I went to a Ralphs and was disappointed to find that they cut EVERY rack right down the middle! :crazy: Some of them probably would have been OK, but would have produced very small ribs. Some of them were BAD and very tiny, probably would have been OK as bean meat.

I dug through the case and found one rack that was acceptable, it was trimmed pretty much like a St. Louis, so I bought that for $3. The guy told me I can go back tonight and they'll have a new shipment in and will leave some uncut for me. My friend went to another Ralphs and they had cryos available. The only downside is the 3 rack max per person.

Just picked up some slabs a few minutes ago. They are not Farmer John. They are Prairie Fresh brand, cryovac.

I picked up some of those yesterday. I will smoke a couple of racks in the pizza oven tomorrow.
They also had individual racks, non-cryovac, for 99 cents/lb as well. I did not get those.

Last edited:
I went to a Ralphs and was disappointed to find that they cut EVERY rack right down the middle! :crazy: Some of them probably would have been OK, but would have produced very small ribs. Some of them were BAD and very tiny, probably would have been OK as bean meat.
That cut is called a Santa Barbara style and seem to be common with the Farmer Johns. I bought cryo packed ones from Albertsons once thinking they were St. Louis cut, live and learn i guess.

I only go to Costco and RD for my spares. Sam's carries the Prairie Fresh brand which are good but pricey. My wife was just there this morning and said they were $3.99# ouch. I had her stop by Costco and they were 1.99#.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ralphs ones Smoothsmoke.

That cut is called a Santa Barbara style and seem to be common with the Farmer Johns. I bought cryo packed ones from Albertsons once thinking they were St. Louis cut, live and learn i guess.

Thing is, I spoke with the butcher and he admitted that they arrived complete and in cryos and that according to him, "97% of our customers request them cut in half" so he said when they arrived they just "banged them out" and cut every single rack in half.

Thing is, I spoke with the butcher and he admitted that they arrived complete and in cryos and that according to him, "97% of our customers request them cut in half" so he said when they arrived they just "banged them out" and cut every single rack in half.

That is so wrong. These customers want them like that so they can fit them boiling pots or what?....lol....

I guess that leaves you, me and the rest of the Brethern in the minority :roll:

It's funny, every time I go to my local Asian market the butcher asks me how I want the slab cut. I once told him I wanted it cut St Louis style and he had no idea what I was talking about.....I kinda expected that.

Back