How would you price a BBQ gig?

Q

Que-Dawg

Just got a new gig for 100 + on New Year’s…. This does not count my private party already scheduled.
My question is how do I price the job?
100+ and we make;
Ribs, garlic cheddar briskets, BBQ beans, slaw, MOINK ballz, wings, brisket and another group has said to have the rest of the bid… I was told mine is a sure thing due to the brisket is so yummy (Thanks bigabyte) for the brisket lesson:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I would like to know what you cook on for these partys and gigs. This may open a lot of doors for you as word of mouth spreads. Good Luck you ya!

Are you saying that you are cooking part of the food and someone else is cooking other dishes? If that is the case it is not good. If the other caterer screws up---and people are looking at you--it can actually be detrimental to your reputation.

When I cater --I do it all or nothing. The only exception that I accept is wedding cake.

I'd price by the person. Tell them to give you a head count up front (100) and cook for 5% over that (105).

(I assume you are asking about methodology for pricing and not a price itself.)

Ribs, garlic cheddar briskets, BBQ beans, slaw, MOINK ballz, wings, brisket
Ribs $5 or 6 per a 3 bone sampler
Garlic cheddar biscuits?? or briskets. If this is a side dish then$1.50 or 2
Beans $2
Slaw $1 or 1.50
Moimk ballz - only you know how much labor in them and what the cost is based on size. I'd take total cost of meats, multiply by 4 and divide by 100. But it's probably a $5 dish.
wings - $2.50 - 3
Brisket $5 or 6.

total about $25 per person.

Agreed... Price it per head. And get EVERYTHING is writing as far in advance as possible.

You really want to ruin your party by taking on a job this big on the same day?
Your looking at around $17-20 pp for New Years Eve & that would be for pick-up. Good luck!

I'd price all of that for $15 assuming I don't have to bring plates, napkins, and plasticware.

Price it so that you make your nut. I go for $1k profit after all costs. You are serving right? If they serve everyone's eyes will be bigger than their belly.

Are you thinking that everyone will choose one meat entree? Well they will all want each entree, "learned from experience." Therefore a couple cases of ribs at three ribs per person plus the brisket. Drop the moink balls, they are like bbq fodder, not needed unless specifically asked for. I say this because the prep time on this job might kick yer arse. Plus you will need refrigerator space. I have three fridges and most times that aint enough...

The moink balls will probably be easier to prepare than the wings but most folks are familiar with wings so it might be better to go with them. Keep it simple, most folks don't know what they want until you tell them.

Will these famous cheese biscuits be fresh from the oven or in transport prior to serving? Oven space is even worse than fridge space when catering on some occasions.

I learned these lessons the hard way but lets see what others folks have to say.

Another thing to remember is hire one extra hand you will need it and you'll wish you had two. Well worth the $100 plus you can let them do the clean up because I hate to clean-up after a gig. Plus you can price the gig and then add on the price of a grunt and have the customer pay for it.

Look for $1k profit, the rest of my post is just lessons learned.

MOINK Balls:

$3.00 per person
3 MOINK Balls each

300 MOINK Balls will take you an hour and 15 minutes or so to prepare. If you work fast and that's only the wrapping. Then you have to smoke them and then you have to sauce them. Saucing is time consuming.

Back