Char siu pork

I am back in the fog from Christmas through New Years. Just a heads up.

I am back in the fog from Christmas through New Years. Just a heads up.

I will be here after Xmas...lets definitly do a Q...rain or shine, we can cook in the barn. I can try to invite some folks...so we can cook for more then just a few. Fire up the Santa Maria for sure, I am going to be doing a test burn in my off set today.

I got a 3, 2.5 quart slow cooker/warmer for the wedding, we can use that for sides. Nothing better then a Middle of the Winter BBQ in Humboldt County...you will know why i call my smoker Lil Muddy!

I have a huge cast iron pot and have been known to cook up a little Jambalaya! Home made sausage and chicken, I think Chico is damn close to Jefferson. If not, we will annex.

NUTZ

Awesome, I was always wondering how the chinese do the meat. Now, does anyone know how they do the crispy skinned duck? How they treat the skin, what temperature and for how long?

Some dictionary action:
Mandarin: 叉烧 chāshāo n. roast pork tenderloin (roasted on a spit), Char Siu is cantonese, name probably depends on the restaurant you go to.
烧烤shāokao n./v. barbecue; roast

Awesome, I was always wondering how the chinese do the meat. Now, does anyone know how they do the crispy skinned duck? How they treat the skin, what temperature and for how long?

Mmmmmm crispy duck. Well I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do this but I've done it this way with pretty good results. This is the Peking duck recipe I use that produces a nice crispy duck.
First take your duck and trim off any extra skin. Then put the duck in the sink and pour boiling water all over it, inside and out. You don't want to give it a bath, just a shower, so a colander works well for this.
Then dry it off and make a paste of dry sherry and salt, a tablespoon of each and rub it all over. The wine they mentioned Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine might work nicely instead of the sherry. Let the duck sit uncovered on a rack in the fridge for the rest of the day breast side down. Then in the evening generously baste the duck with maple syrup and turn it breast side up till tomorrow (you weren't planning to eat this right away were you?) when you can cook it about 5hrs before you want to eat it.

Now I have to say I haven't cooked it on a grill, only in my oven but now that I've found this website to tempt and teach me, that will change. You start out low at about 175 deg. for the first hour and a half with the duck on a rack in an open pan. You are really just melting the fat off the duck. Then you increase the temp to 325 deg. and flip the duck. Then in another hour and a half you flip it again. At this point you know it is cooked, but you are just waiting for the crispy glow. Sometimes it might take another half hour.

I've tried a couple of other recipes with hoisin and soya sauce and five spice powder but I really like the flavor of this one. The maple does something interesting without tasting mapley at the end.

I have a huge cast iron pot and have been known to cook up a little Jambalaya! Home made sausage and chicken, I think Chico is damn close to Jefferson. If not, we will annex.

NUTZ

Other way around...if you are lucky...
You are wayyyyy to close to Sac...the Jefferson state flag has 2 X's on it, one for each state capital that has double crossed us. two double x's. You oughta make your way up here...grab a rifle and some rounds, let me know your comin'

Other way around...if you are lucky...
You are wayyyyy to close to Sac...the Jefferson state flag has 2 X's on it, one for each state capital that has double crossed us. two double x's. You oughta make your way up here...grab a rifle and some rounds, let me know your comin'

Should I bring the gator pit or just the 223?

NUTZ

NUTZ does good pickles and sausage.

I got a Peking Duck recipe, but, only one hand right now. Ecode's sounds close. Mine involves sewing the duck shut and inflating the skin. It is also better cooked vertical (UDS anyone?)

Back