• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butt cook question?

mr big

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm cooking a couple of Butts next weekend for a cook out and want to try to cook them hot and fast so i dont put them on in the middle of the night. They are 7.5lbs a piece so if i want to let them rest for 45min or so and we we eat around 1pm. What time should i put them on if i run them around 275 degrees

2:30-3:00am?.....or go a little hotter. 300*?

At 275 you're looking at around 75 minutes per pound, so that would be just over 9 hours. Add in two hours rest time (45 minutes isn't enough) so you would want to get them on at about 2:00am.

Maybe put them on at 225 the night before, see how the're doing at 7:00 or 8:00 am and bump up the temp to 275 if necessary? I've done that a couple times with great success.

I cook mine at 300 and I will tell you there is no Stall, just a steady march to awesomeness. In my limited experience cook time at 300 deg will average 50 min lb until the bone is loose.

i agree with jonM.

lower the temp instead of raise it and put them on earlier rather than later.

go to bed and give em a check in the morning. if they're done, wrap and rest. if not wrap and bump up temp.

Just like Ron said, and that will give you some leadway if one of them is stubborn.

What are you cooking them on? If you don't have to resupply fuel put them on at 12 midnight and like Ron_L said 9 hours later you should be close. If they are not done you still have some time to work with. If they are done wrap in foil and a towel and into the cooler until you are ready to eat. They will hold in the cool for at least 4 hours.

Maybe put them on at 225 the night before, see how the're doing at 7:00 or 8:00 am and bump up the temp to 275 if necessary? I've done that a couple times with great success.
Good answer! It might depend however on what kind of pit you're running. If you have a offset, it would mean tending the fire all night as there are no "set it and forget its" with offsets but if you have a charcoal cooker you should be able to do exactly what Jon said pretty easily, as long as you can set it up for a slow controlled burn with the minion or something.

Back