Kurobuta pork, who uses it?

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV. :thumb:

Trying Berkshire ribs this weekend. I guess we'll see if they are worth the price :)

Personally I wouldn't turn in Korobuta spares, something about the flavor that I'm not sure the Judges are ready for. The ones I can get are not that big in the first place and even though I have a meat sponsor, if I was paying for them the price is too much to justify getting dumped on by the professional eaters.

Butts are a different thing, IMO they are richer flavored and you could turn them in without injecting and do well. My supplier carries boneless in the 7-8 lb range.
I have cooked quite a few CT Butts at home and for our supplier (banned from KCBS events) and they cook differently than the Butts and can see now why people were using them-its like a giant Money Muscle and excellent for slicing, but not for pulled IMO.

I'd love to pull these out and try them on the judges-

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

Short ribs! These are out of the world! But then again why take a chance on some a$$wad dinging you for "uneven knife cuts"?? Just sayin'.

OMG, it was an honest/valid question! :doh:

at the time, who knew what the ramifications were going to be....well maybe some did.

i'm sure you weren't one of them. :becky:

sous vide pork collar? i'll try some.

I use something they call a pork collar, works GREAT! :wink:

Well, it's about that time again.... when we hijack a pork butt thread and turn it into a pork collar thread - Brian, you tuned up and ready to go? :becky:

I also use Kurobota butts and really like them. We're trying a Berkshire-Duroc blend this weekend. I like the real heavy pork taste of the Duroc and the Berkshire fat is butter - I can't wait to see what the combined tastes like.

not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV. :thumb:
Man, I would love to try Nieman Ranch butts, never seen them around here. I love their pork chops.

For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

So a straight answer is I have cooked berkshire a variety of times but have not noticed a difference worth double+ the price and having to order by the case and never being sure exactly what I'm going to get. Definitely will not hurt you.

I have tried duroc, tamworth, berkshire, tamshire and red wattle. I have not found enough of a difference in a pork butt to warrant the cost. However as a chop absolutely.

the baby back ribs are absolutely AWESOME...they taste like pork use to taste with some fat content in it.....the only problem is the baby backs are very small and, i have never seen berkshire st louis style ribs

Back