View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
bbqpitstop

This is exactly how I started my bbq business years ago using a local moose lodge's kitchen. A little unsolilcited advise to keep it running smooth.

Always take a thorough beginning inventory of all smallwares so that upon outgrowing the facility there won't be dispute as to what is whos

Always leave the kitchen cleaner than you found it, everday.

Come to an agreement in advance regarding who else can use the kitchen in the case of events or other groups bringing in their own food.

Agree whether you will offer your food to outside sources or the public and if they are allowed entry to the lodge to pickup.

Consider allowing other members to learn how to run your smoker and to use it for their non profit fundraising efforts. It shows goodwill and creates more interest in bbq itself

Coordinate what type of safeguards you'll have in place should you end up hiring help. Protection from theft, damage, etc. are important to lodges due to slim operating budgets.

Offer to pay for the cleaning of hoods, exhausts and occasional thorough cleaning of floors if you're utilizing the fryers, salamanders or grills.

Ultimately we had a great experience with this as a startup venue and we still retain a lot of customers from our Moose lodge. We eventually went to a public venue to have our own kitchen but overall it was a cost effective way to test the water on the marketability of our product.

Good going and I highly recommend this for anyone thinking of starting a restaurant so they can get a taste of what it's really like to be responsible for the day to day operation before laying out the big bucks.