Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

Lurk some of the Facebook Groups for specific cookers. Pit Boss for example. It’s eye opening what people post. I’ve learned a lot of what not to do just by reading the public forum. I don’t log in, I don’t post. I do have an about as low cost pellet cooker that can be bought. Paid 250 for the Pit Boss Austin XL. Simple things. Vacuum it out before every cook. Check for proper alignment and slope of grease tray. Clean out any grease that might have missed the slope. Check your pellets for water damage if you leave it outside. Follow proper start up procedures. With Pit Boss it’s start with lid open and leave it open until the smoke quits billowing. I move mine away from the house. It’s got 4 really nice wheels. I roll it out of the garage. Shop vac. Make sure it’s assembled correctly, punch the start button and follow the instructions in the manual. Make sure the coverage of your meat is inside the drip trays. It’s not set and forget. My drum is set and forget. My Primo is set and forget. Neither of my pellet grills have been. They are convenient on the front end. Lots of moving mechanical parts, lots of electrical instrumentation. Working and Measuring is a Pellet Grill responsibility, throw in human error and unwillingness to read the instruction book. It gets interesting

Last edited:
Smitty, I'm worried that you might be rushing your potential pellet grill purchase. It's only been a little over three years since you started this thread. Cool your jets man!

And then buy a MAK 1 Star when they are back in stock!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Them Horns are Still Sexy.............

It might depend where you live or how you grew up. I've never been fond of the horns, so that usually crossed RecTeq off the list from the start. That and their reputation for curating reviews. I have zero reason to believe their product isn't great, but if I'm going to drop that kind of dough on something, I don't want to say yuck or think how corny is this every time I look at it.

All I can say is...3 years of searching? You really don't want one that bad. There's been deals on all kinds of brands, though far less the past year. I still see pellet grills all the time on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, the classifieds here, etc.

What's really holding you back? I've admittedly only skimmed the thread, so if it's life/financial I can completely understand that, but if it's just indecisiveness you should find something to try even if it's a cheap or used pellet grill to see if you even like them.

$40 Off Ain’t No Clearance , WTH?

7f9b82ae172e58e8c43fa147c7e3c069.jpg

d6cc617745478dd0a4605fc2b9a084be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradley Robinson Of Chuds BBQ cooks a brisket on this Z Grill unit. Youtube vid less than 15

Smitty I love my RT 590, but if you are on the fence find you something on clearance or used and light that baby up.

Back