KCBS Involvement

I had to Google it too. Then I had to think for a long time to come to the point where I think I understand. But then again...maybe I should just compete until it's no longer fun.

Go vote! The voting booth is open once you log in on the KCBS website. Just go to kcbs.us then login and then click on engagements. Voting takes just a few seconds once you know who you are voting for. Find the candidate(s) that represent what you want to see happen and go vote for them.

kcbs.us

I'm violating my rule of voting one candidate. My theory has been that if I have four votes to cast I'm essentially voting against my own candidate(s).

With the seats that are open and the candidates running I'm making an exception based on what they individually have to offer.

I'm not voting for Myron Berry. Not because I don't support him, but because I think he'll be elected. I like what the board has done, and I think he's contributed.

I am voting for Michael Fay. He's been outspoken. He's been just as outspoken with me privately while I was on the board and The Royal changed their standards for the Invitational as President of the MABA board. That response was that it was a surprise, but you had to do what you had to for the teams already qualified. He has experience dealing with different interests and points of view. KCBS is a bigger pond to fish in, but I think that experience helps him and KCBS.

I'm voting for Rick Wagner. As KCBS transitions to having a CEO, that hopefully takes more of the reins, I like the idea of an accountant on the board to keep an eye on the financials going forward. I'm hopeful that the sale of the building will be consummated and that KCBS will be in a better financial position going forward. Having an accountant on the board to review monthly financials would be beneficial in my opinion.

I'm also voting for David Mcallister. He's a software developer that I've served with on the Technology Committee. KCBS has a need for that expertise and his experience and current familiarity with the issues would be a plus for membership.

I don't do social media anymore. If you've seen something that disqualifies them in your mind, that I'm unaware of then by all means vote your conscience. Based on what I know today, that's who I'm voting for.

I don't give two craps about who you vote for..Just vote, and vote for whomever you think will do the best job possible for KCBS!!!!

I won't be voting this time. I am no longer a member. After 19 years I joined the ranks of the non-renewed.

2018 KCBS tax return is posted on website

There is definitely some interesting stuff there. I've seen some posts on other sites talking about different concerns in the return. It looks like there is some definite progress and I think this Board is taking steps to keep that progress moving.

The thing that seems odd is that it stated there were 18,625 active members as of December 31, 2018 and $393,768 collected in dues. The most recent Board meeting stated we have almost 2000 lifetime members. If I remove all those members from revenue and only count those active members that aren't lifetime members, that leaves 16,625 active members paying $40 individually and $55 for a family per year. Even if everyone paid family membership, that leaves 8,312 families and 1 individual membership that should generate $457,200 per year at the most conservative level, not counting those that became lifetime members in that year. I would be shocked if half the active memberships in the KCBS are family memberships, which would mean that revenue should be higher. Do we really have that many active members? Or maybe the right question is, how long does a member stay active that is delinquent on their dues? It seems like it would be challenging to budget without an accurate number here.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like it could equate to a large number. Anyone have any insight to this?

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like it could equate to a large number. Anyone have any insight to this?

Hey Aaron, I don't have any direct insight, but when reviewing the data, it was my assumption that a portion of the membership dues might be getting split between different "buckets". If this is correct, I anticipate it could be reflected in Part VIII (Statement of Revenue) 2b (Newsletter printing). KCBS may internally split a portion of the dues to cover the Bullsheet?

There is definitely some interesting stuff there. I've seen some posts on other sites talking about different concerns in the return. It looks like there is some definite progress and I think this Board is taking steps to keep that progress moving.

The thing that seems odd is that it stated there were 18,625 active members as of December 31, 2018 and $393,768 collected in dues. The most recent Board meeting stated we have almost 2000 lifetime members. If I remove all those members from revenue and only count those active members that aren't lifetime members, that leaves 16,625 active members paying $40 individually and $55 for a family per year. Even if everyone paid family membership, that leaves 8,312 families and 1 individual membership that should generate $457,200 per year at the most conservative level, not counting those that became lifetime members in that year. I would be shocked if half the active memberships in the KCBS are family memberships, which would mean that revenue should be higher. Do we really have that many active members? Or maybe the right question is, how long does a member stay active that is delinquent on their dues? It seems like it would be challenging to budget without an accurate number here.

I'm not a CPA but KCBS is on an accrual accounting system so dues are realized incrementally over the 12 month period. memberships renew on various dates across the year so that means if you renew in May and you are a $40 Individual member, then KCBS realizes 1/12th or $3.33 in realized revenue from May to December or $26.66 of your $40 is realized in the year.

Members are kept active for 60 days past their dues expiration per the Bylaws. and somehow last year, the Board created "Free" members when the new website was made live so you have "Free" members on the rolls with no benefits realized on either side. this is being fixed by the Board, but it requires some serious re-development of the Membership Platform and a change in the Bylaws if the Membership chooses.

The data reported is as of 12/21/2018.

I’m interested in the compensation paid to some BOD members, as that has not been listed on previous year’s returns.

They are identified, maybe they will respond. I wasn't on the Board in 2018

This is quite possibly the worst piece of journalism I have ever read in my entire life and that's hard to accomplish with today's liberal media, but don't worry, they couldn't even write a single article without mentioning President Trump badly so they compared a current board member to him. Thanks! That's one of the many reasons I voted for them!
This is absolutely nothing but a hit piece by a bunch of self serving former board members who now have sour grapes because the new board put a stop to all of the conflicts of interest and other gravy trains they voted themselves into.
The first allegation in the article regarding a board member and a $2 million lawsuit doesn't merit a comment. The allegations are not even proven and it doesn't involve KCBS.
Quite funny these previous board members want to pin declining contests and a declining membership on a Board that has only been in place for a year now? Maybe someone should ask them what they did in the several years they represented the organization to fix the problem. But they cannot answer that because they were the ones who CREATED the problem! And now they act as if they were the victims, now that's real rich! Stay classy!
And let's not forget, the quote in the article from Mike McCloud was the previous board, not the current one!
And now Bowman is suing the board for breach of contract with his marketing company who received the contract while he was the President on the KCBS BOD..... What a piece of work. He would have never gotten the contract in the first place if it wasn't for his influence on the BOD.
Also, would someone ask Bowman, what part of being a Board member gave him the task of emailing the employer of another member and cook and try to influence said employer to terminate or negatively affect their employment with that employer? I've never read of that duty in any by-laws.
If we're gonna air dirty laundry, let's air all of it!
Literally every issue brought up in this article can be owned by all the people they interviewed, but it's nice they can try to wash their hands of it and blame others.
For years our beloved organization was plagued by a board of "good ol boys" set in their ways and nothing ever changed. Last year with several spots open, and some of these people's seats coming up for election, we seen an opportunity to finally get enough new blood on the Board to finally break down the old ways and actually start working to save the organization.
Does KCBS have problems? Absolutely. I'm not going to sit here an tell you they don't. But KCBS is a strong organization. It's the premier sanctioning body of competitive cooking and has provided an avenue for opportunities for cooks like myself to create successful ventures of our own along side with having contests to cook all over the world.
I feel the new board has stopped the bleeding and has started to heal the wounds and has the passion to get the organization back on the path of growth.
The sad part about all of this is KCBS cannot even properly respond to this article because much of what was discussed has confidentiality clauses in many contracts that THESE EXACT PEOPLE put in place without the potential of legal trouble.
David Qualls I want to personally thank you for being the loudest person in the room as they've accused you of being. That is why we voted for you and that is how you fix corruption and old habits.
I want to personally thank all of our current board AND our new CEO for their hard work in turning KCBS in the right direction. We won't always agree on everything, but as long as the best interest of the organization and it's members are put first, we will always find common ground.

This is quite possibly the worst piece of journalism I have ever read in my entire life and that's hard to accomplish with today's liberal media, but don't worry, they couldn't even write a single article without mentioning President Trump badly so they compared a current board member to him. Thanks! That's one of the many reasons I voted for them!
This is absolutely nothing but a hit piece by a bunch of self serving former board members who now have sour grapes because the new board put a stop to all of the conflicts of interest and other gravy trains they voted themselves into.
The first allegation in the article regarding a board member and a $2 million lawsuit doesn't merit a comment. The allegations are not even proven and it doesn't involve KCBS.
Quite funny these previous board members want to pin declining contests and a declining membership on a Board that has only been in place for a year now? Maybe someone should ask them what they did in the several years they represented the organization to fix the problem. But they cannot answer that because they were the ones who CREATED the problem! And now they act as if they were the victims, now that's real rich! Stay classy!
And let's not forget, the quote in the article from Mike McCloud was the previous board, not the current one!
And now Bowman is suing the board for breach of contract with his marketing company who received the contract while he was the President on the KCBS BOD..... What a piece of work. He would have never gotten the contract in the first place if it wasn't for his influence on the BOD.
Also, would someone ask Bowman, what part of being a Board member gave him the task of emailing the employer of another member and cook and try to influence said employer to terminate or negatively affect their employment with that employer? I've never read of that duty in any by-laws.
If we're gonna air dirty laundry, let's air all of it!
Literally every issue brought up in this article can be owned by all the people they interviewed, but it's nice they can try to wash their hands of it and blame others.
………………………………………. we will always find common ground.

Don't always agree with you Travis, but THANK YOU, we are in agreement with this.

Not knowing the inner working of KCBS I just thought I'd throw this out for some discussion. I wasn't aware of some of the items that you brought to light and re-reading the article with that new knowledge, you are absolutely right, it does sound like a hit piece.

Thanks for the additional Info.

That was a quote attributed to Mike Peters, not thoughts of the article author. If you are going to whine, at least have your facts straight.

Mike Peters, who served as the society’s president in 2015 and its BBQ tour manager for 11 years until November 2019, said Qualls operates “like the Trump factor: whether he's right or wrong, he's saying what he's saying to try to sway opinions.”

“He's always been the loudest voice in the room,” Peters said, “and so a lot of people, I won't say cower to that, but they let the loudest voice speak and they followed down that path.”

IMO KCBS had major growing pains and along with terrible leadership by Qualls and others has left it in the shape it is in.

They needed a new building as they were in an old house in South KC. I used to work in the area and had been by it. The building and location choice were poor. They wanted to be in a big building in the hip part of town by a craft brewery (Boulevard) and the local coffee company (Roasterie) with a plane on its roof. I am sure the cost was big $$$.

That was a quote attributed to Mike Peters, not thoughts of the article author. If you are going to whine, at least have your facts straight.

IMO KCBS had major growing pains and along with terrible leadership by Qualls and others has left it in the shape it is in.

They needed a new building as they were in an old house in South KC. I used to work in the area and had been by it. The building and location choice were poor. They wanted to be in a big building in the hip part of town by a craft brewery (Boulevard) and the local coffee company (Roasterie) with a plane on its roof. I am sure the cost was big $$$.

Yeah, well they made sure the irrelevant comment got published in the article.
What terrible leadership has Qualls done? He's been on the board for less than a year. What has he done that has hurt KCBS?

Back