KCBS Involvement

This makes no sense. A backyard team is not going to spend $800 to compete. Expecting anyone to pay to see the rules is ridiculous.

OK $200-$300-$400 you should support the organization your trying to win money through. Or be a non-supporter and read the rules from a paying member.
Ed

OK $200-$300-$400 you should support the organization your trying to win money through. Or be a non-supporter and read the rules from a paying member.
Ed

Most people are more concerned with supporting the local organization putting on the contest then the organization that is being paid to be there. That's not to say i'm disagreeing with you, i've always thought it weird that to be a judge you needed to pay $50 but to compete you did not.

Most people are more concerned with supporting the local organization putting on the contest then the organization that is being paid to be there. That's not to say i'm disagreeing with you, i've always thought it weird that to be a judge you needed to pay $50 but to compete you did not.

Having to be a member to compete and be a member to read the rules is not the same thing.

While I agree that the there is no reason to keep the rules behind the pay wall (or registration wall) it is very easy to get the rules. Just do a Google search for "2019 KCBS rules" and the first item listed is a free link to the rules.

Ed
If that's the mentality of every one in iowa, it's probably why contests are drying up there. Last I checked you guys just lost a contest due to lack of participation. You tell me how forcing people to be members to cook a comp or even get the rules is best in the interest of getting more people to cook contests. Tell me how having a new team jump through more hoops to cook a contest is the way to grow competitive BBQ.

Last edited:
I think not having access to the rules is very unlikely to be the problem.
Bigger question is why is the event struggling?
Because it's late in the season and many teams are out of money or are just done competing for the year.

Not having access to the rules isn't the problem but telling someone they have to pay for a membership just to cook a contest is dumb.

Ed

How much money does KCBS add to the prize pool?

Yes you should support the organization but you shouldn't be forced to support it.

I tend to lean towards ModleMaker here. 40$ to support the system your trying to be apart of for the whole year! 4.80$ a month !! we spend more than that on rubs a week !

If want sport to continue you have to do your part ...............bottom line

If everyone turned off NFL on Sunday guess what its ....GONE

You tell me how telling a first time team you are encouraging to sign up and cook their first contest that on top of paying an entry fee, you also need to go out to KCBS's site and pay for a membership to an organization you don't even know if you are going to continue to be a part of. And if that contest needs that team to get to 25 to make it a qualifier or half of the teams who are signed up will not show up because it isn't. When that contest goes away for good, you tell me how forcing memberships on people just to compete is good for competition BBQ.

On top of that, for contests to be qualifiers for the Jack and American Royal, they are supposed to be open to EVERYONE to cook. That rule is set by the Royal and the Jack, not KCBS. Making contests where only members can cook is no longer open to everyone and by definition wouldn't be qualifiers.

Well without the foundation (KCBS) there be no cook offs, without paid/ supporting members there be no KCBS. I guess i see point for that 1/1,000 team out there that just wants show up one Saturday throw some stuff on smoker an call them selves cooking a comp. But the vast majority if you WANT TO BE INVOLVED ,i cant see how its too much. and nor do i see this as a HUGE henderance to the sport of comp BBQ.

Here in my area FBA you cant judge or be certified team without being a up to date member. Im a member of both KCBS and FBA okay 80$ a year to support something im into / an love to do. Same reason i pay for NFL/ college package on my tv , i love football.

Well without the foundation (KCBS) there be no cook offs, without paid/ supporting members there be no KCBS. I guess i see point for that 1/1,000 team out there that just wants show up one Saturday throw some stuff on smoker an call them selves cooking a comp. But the vast majority if you WANT TO BE INVOLVED ,i cant see how its too much. and nor do i see this as a HUGE henderance to the sport of comp BBQ.

Here in my area FBA you cant judge or be certified team without being a up to date member. Im a member of both KCBS and FBA okay 80$ a year to support something im into / an love to do. Same reason i pay for NFL/ college package on my tv , i love football.

The debate over whether you should have to be a member is certainly a debate that should be had.

This debate started because KCBS moved the rules to the PAID section of the website.

I have no issue whatsoever with the teams that are competing to be required to be members of KCBS, or at least pay a fee at the time of the event. I was simply just stating that for teams thinking of making the jump the rules should be readily available.

I will use my personal experience as an example: I competed in a few backyard fair contests for a couple of years. I cooked on a Traeger and a propane smoker as you could cook on whatever you wanted to. At most of these contests flyers were passed out for other backyard comps that followed KCBS rules. Being interested in doing more of them I jumped on the KCBS site to check out the rules. Of course I found out that propane was not an allowed fuel so I backed out at the time, and later figured out a way to make equipment changes because I really wanted to compete.

Fast forward to somebody in this situation today: Why should I have to pay to see the rules that don't allow propane and then decide I do not want to compete because I don't want to invest in more equipment...now I am out $40 for nothing.

I don't cook much anymore and am a lifetime member, but the last time I cooked they handed out a rules brochure if you wanted one. Damn sure if you ask a rep or organizer at the contest you want to sign up for, they will make sure you have a set of rules ahead of time.

Don't know why as a team you can't take the time to get rules ahead of time instead of expecting someone to do it for you?

Don't really think any of this is why the team count is down though.

I don't cook much anymore and am a lifetime member, but the last time I cooked they handed out a rules brochure if you wanted one. Damn sure if you ask a rep or organizer at the contest you want to sign up for, they will make sure you have a set of rules ahead of time.

Don't know why as a team you can't take the time to get rules ahead of time instead of expecting someone to do it for you?

Don't really think any of this is why the team count is down though.

Yeah this makes perfect sense. If you are a new team, just track down a rep or organizer and get a brochure of the rules. Eazy peezy.

Back