Have about ~2k to spend on a new smoker.. what to do?

rabeb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have since sold all my smokers in my sig, except the FEC. I am really itching for another smoker that does not use pellets. I am open to what you guys think.. I am having a hard time deciding!

Your looking to find a smoker without pellets, and I'm lookin for an FEC100 to use pellets:becky: I like the set it and forget:thumb:

Fellas, can I be the First to say it?

Build an UDS and with the money you save take a Vacation....
Or buy some Meat!!!

Yea, I do need to get around building one. But they are cheap, and I can do that anytime!

Your looking to find a smoker without pellets, and I'm lookin for an FEC100 to use pellets:becky: I like the set it and forget:thumb:

Oh I still love the FEC set and forget.. But I miss cooking with other forms of heat, and tending to a fire.

keep an eye on CL and ebay etc. With winter approaching and this economy you may find a great deal. Be patient if possible.

Are you looking for offset? Vertical? Insulated or no? Ceramic? I have lots of ideas... Got to play with a new Viking Gravity fed unit at the Royal last weekend... it is a little above your threshold, but wow, nice unit. And It made some killa BigMista ribs.

Are you looking for offset? Vertical? Insulated or no? Ceramic? I have lots of ideas... Got to play with a new Viking Gravity fed unit at the Royal last weekend... it is a little above your threshold, but wow, nice unit. And It made some killa BigMista ribs.

Is that the Stumps model with stainless steel?

Backwoods Fatty = $1830

fatboy2.jpg

If you already have a cabinet smoker then you gotta mix it up with something different. You already have the Ronco version of set it and forget it bbq pits so I'd vote to go with the opposite, how about a stickburner? I'd go with a Klose offset and ride into the sunset. I have a Klose and a Spicewine, and i smile a lot more now when I cook.

491595737_31ee926a9a_m.jpg

I with JiveTurkey. Stickburners. Nothin like sittin' out all night with the Klose, playin' with the fire and consuming beverages. Oh yeah and BBQing something. :cool:

Large, Medium and Small eggs, FEC100, Custom Bates 24x72 w/36 upright "Black Betty" !
By your signature, something easy to sell! Which of those did you like and why? Why didn't you like the others?

Well, I sold all my other cookers for reasons (though I miss them all!). I sold all my eggs to buy the FEC, because I was catering and it was just too hard to cook large amounts, and had to come up with the capital to do so.

I bought the bates solely, because it was a great deal on CL, and I REALLY wanted to try my hands at a stick burner. I stuck about $100 in paint and gaskets, and turned around and sold it for a profit of about 1k. I really loved the food it produced though. But it was kind of pointless me for to have without a real storage place for it and no truck to haul it.

I took the profits from catering and the bates and bought a Weber summit s-670 for grilling, and everyday tasks, but I REALLY MISS steaks off the egg, nothing can compare.

I still do a little catering, maybe 10 events a summer, so the FEC gets used there. I would really only be cooking for 6 (at most) people with the new rig.
Here is what I cook:
Alot of chicken, pork chops, and steak (currently use the weber)
ribs, brisket, pork shoulder
Bacon
Pizza (miss egg pizza, but the fec does alright)

I would really love a stick burner again, but I would also like to be able to cook with lump. I also would really like the ability to use said heat source to make seared steaks(or other grilled food). So far the midnight smoker has really peaked my interest since it his a bunch of points, that I would like in a smoker. I just looked at the Kountry's, but if I got that I would sell the FEC, since they are basically the same.

SO, thats where I stand!

Thanks
Bryan

Back