What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

DigiQ DX for overnighters and beef jerky. It's all about getting sleep and not having to worry what's going on with the fire at 3:00 in the morning.
Great for controlling really low temp (165 degrees) for beef jerky.

That is great to know, beef jerky is on my list for this summer. I have a big joe kamado on the way.... Gonna grab a guru wifi so I can monitor my coos, temps and just caz they're cool.

Never had a grease fire in my smoker and anyone who says they sit by their pit for 16 hours while butts are cooking is FOS.

I have a guru DigiQ and I love it for overnight cooks. I use it on my 22.5 WSM when I smoke butts or whole hams. Temp holds at 235 all night. I just purchased a LBGE last month and it seems to hold temps very well but if I do an overnight cook in it I will use the DigiQ on it as well.

Sick. I'd sure like to see some threads on these BGE cooks.

So if you have a wi-fi one and it tells you your temps are either high or low, and you're gone for 5-10 hours, what good does it do?

You can adj pit temps over the Internet with any tablet, smartphone, laptop, iPod or any other device that will connect to al gores Internet :)

I have the Maverick and the wireless is limited by range. The pit temperature alarm is nice to let you know when you need to get out of bed to adjust the control in the freezing rain.

I'm tempted to get a wifi version that is completely automated. This gives me a lot of flexibility to run errands, full night sleep, cook while at work, better range, and more. The more convenient, the more I cook.

I want a simple device for the home cooker, weatherproof, durable, great quality, and at a reasonable cost. There's still a lot of room for improvement in the market, and I haven't found one that really fits into my criteria. But the WiFi Stoker catches my attention.

Jake

I have the Maverick and the wireless is limited by range. The pit temperature alarm is nice to let you know when you need to get out of bed to adjust the control in the freezing rain.

I'm tempted to get a wifi version that is completely automated. This gives me a lot of flexibility to run errands, full night sleep, cook while at work, better range, and more. The more convenient, the more I cook.

I want a simple device for the home cooker, weatherproof, durable, great quality, and at a reasonable cost. There's still a lot of room for improvement in the market, and I haven't found one that really fits into my criteria. But the WiFi Stoker catches my attention.

Jake

I want one that will chop my wood into nice little splits while I sleep

;)

My pit temps have all been controlled by simple tweaks of the vents.

I use my Maverick ET-732 to monitor.

I set the alarms for overnight cooks and also set my cellphone alarm to wake up every so often and glance at the readout.

Most overnight cooks, though, find me enjoying a cold beer and catching up on my favorite shows via DVR or AppleTV: Justified, Son's, etc.

I use my Heatermeter that I built to control my claypot Imperial Kamado for long overnight cooks. Don't really need it as the claypot holds temps very well, but it is nice so that I can get some sleep and not worry about it. Also, if things get out of control, my Heatermeter will send me a text message when a certain alert temperature is reached.

Q: What do I use for temperature control on my smoker(s)?

A: Knowledge and experience.

Mexican ATC (The "Solamenteme").

Two pipe nipples and a ball valve.

Building my own now that I have my UDS pretty much dialed in.

It's based on the Arduino, and the code is written. I just need to hook it up to the UDS with some chicken thighs and do the damn thing.

Back