30Amp Comp Power

Trainwreck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that have used the 30A power supplied at the competitions do you know the configuration of the plug. I am wiring my trailer and I need to make a cord but I am not sure what the typical female plug that the provide. Also does anyone know if a modified sine wave inverter is suitable for an FEC 100? Thanks

Andy

Whenever I've found 30A power at a comp they use a 30A RV receptacle (Nema TT-30)

DSCN3917-30AmpSocket.jpg

Same as above. I would recommend getting campers world catalog and viewing all of their connections. As far as power make sure it is clean power and know about all ofyour fuses.

That's what I needed. Thanks guys. I am still debating on how long of a cord I will be making but am leaning towards 30' max. As I am an electrician I can buy the stuff pretty reasonable but the longer the cord the more issues you have.

As said above most we've encountered use an RV plug.
Length: we have a 25ft on the trailer which, mounted at the center of the trailer, reaches the front or rear of the trailer and we have a 25ft extension which normally reaches across the ajacent cook site. I also carry a 100ft extension in the truck for emergencies.

Wire it for an RV plug and get an adapter for when they only provide 15 or 20 amps and you should be covered I would think.

Count on needing 100 feet of cord and usually getting a 15 or 20 connection. Some places say 15 amps but by the time they string panels out it's often more like 10. Then there's your cord length from the box. I have an EUC3000 to provide power if there is a problem. With 3500 invested in refrigeration I don't take chances. At one contest last year another team had problems and measured power at less than 8 amps.

Put a quality breaker box in tHe trailer. Also remember that most contests provide gfi connections.

Don't go cheap on the extension cords either. Those orange cords most folks use to run weedeaters around the house are only rated for 10 amps. Go with at least 12gauge or better yet 10 gauge ...pricey but a worthy investment.

Running a cord for 30A requires 10-guage wire. As I see it I will need to make two cords that are 50ft as 100ft cord coiled up if you only need 25ft adds alot of issues. I probably will be going with 2-feeds into my electrical box. 1 at 20A and 1 at 30A. I do not need the 30A power right now but I may down the road. I will have two weatherproof boxes on the front of my trailer that I plug into. I am looking at about $150 my cost for 100ft of cord with connectors on each end. Also 10-3 SO Cord is quite heavy and not something I want to be lugging around a buch of. Thanks for all the assistance.

Just do 30 and buy or make a 30/15 pigtail. Get one where the prongs go straight out not at 90 degrees to the cord. Some supplied connections won't take the 90's.

That's the way to do it. I also added a second shore line, so if i could only get 20 amp, it came in 2 locations of my RV. 100' of 30 amp cord and you'll need a gorilla to carry that much cable around. I'd break it up like you are doing.

Back