View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

Default Taliban? Watch out for the contractors

This morning as I went into work I could smell the sweet scent of hickory lofting through the Kuwaiti air. About 10:00 I couldn't take it any more and went to investigate it's source. I found a rather nice home made off set between two buildings just off the airfield. As I approached the cooker wondering how this piece of equipment escaped my notice all year a civilian contractor came out to tend the fire. I introduced myself and asked if I could take a peek. Getting his permission the first thing I noticed was the smoke stack lid was covering about 3/4 of the pipe. Inside this gentleman had two nice briskets and a bacon wrapped turkey cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. The bacon looked just about cooked and the turkey was brown but not quite ready. The briskets were darker brown with a light bark. He poked the brisket to test the tenderness and it had a little bounce to it. still a ways to go before it's done. I asked about his rub and how he prepped the bird. He told me the bird was stuffed with bacon and onion and he used a store bought rub from home, but the secret was "low and slow." He told me he put the bird and the briskets on at 0230 and invited me to eat with them at 1800. They were going to have a full dinner going.
While he was talking and I'm standing there looking at the meat I'm doing some quick math in my head. "turkey been cooking for 8 hours+ eating in another 8 hours = "What temp are you cooking at?" I asked. "150" was the reply. How do you tell someone they may be cooking up a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner that will stay with them until Christmas? I asked if he was aware of the danger zones for meat especially poultry and that his bird has been in that zone for 8 hours or more? I suggested he not serve the turkey and bump his temp up to 225-250 until the Brisket was done and eat that for thanksgiving.
Let me just say, some cooks do not want advice... I had my Thanksgiving Turkey in the chow hall.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote