What pellet pooper, if any, to buy?

I have had two Traegers and love them. I have the new deluxe and it actually has 3 shelves on it. I have had nothing but great help from customer services anytime I have needed anything. I had the Texas before also. I think these are great pellet smokers.

IQ4 doesn't have a smoke setting. I put a 6" strainer on the bottom. The middle is pushed up to form a ring and I put pellets in it. Works ok, but I'd like to check out the ProQ setup sometime.

What are you expecting/hoping to see? they look pretty much like any other brisket or butt I have cooked on any of my other cookers. 90+% of the butts and briskets that I cook in my FEC are for competitions and the only pictures that i have of them is the turn in boxes. i suspect that a lot of other FEC owners are in the same boat.
I was expecting to see some food PIC's some where, heck any where, old post, new post, some thing some where post, but to no avail:confused:! I'm in the market for a new smoker and I have narrowed my choice down too two differant smokers. We've all seen PICS of food cooked/smoked on one of them, (Stumps), but no where could I find FEC 100 cooked/smoked pic's. (OTHER than Cookshack's web site, and thats one pic only) We as BBQ'ers taste with our eye's, if not why show PICS? Everyday you can look at any BBQ forum and see PIC's of some thing, heck most Brethren here look at someone's Posted PICs and say's "how good looking someone's PIC is and that they'ed like to have some", well I've been trying to do the same with pellet smoker's, if you will, look and taste with my eye's, see some pic's.:shock: Shouldn't be that difficult I thought, how wrong I seem to be... As far as comp only PICS, I never said I want to see your turn in box, I just can't believe I couldn't find an OLD POST some where with pellet smoked/cooked food PIC's, mostly FEC100 smoked. We all know when a person gets a new toy, we're showing off food pics cooked on the thing! Maybe I should keep going thru the archives:rolleyes:

Here ya go:

firstsmoke.jpg

meat2.jpg

Brisket.jpg

That was my first ever cook on mine.

Here is a recent cook:
DSC_3058.JPG

DSC_3060.JPG

How about some bacon on the FEC
bacon%20all.JPG

How about some Bread...
bread.jpg

Pizza...

pizza.jpg

What else would you like to see! ;)
Finally we have a winner!:clap2: You showed me extactly what I was hoping to see, great looking food!

IQ4 doesn't have a smoke setting. I put a 6" strainer on the bottom. The middle is pushed up to form a ring and I put pellets in it. Works ok, but I'd like to check out the ProQ setup sometime.

That's really clever! The ProQ is sweet but pricey considering the shipping from the UK (unless there is a US distributor now, there wasn't when I bought it last year). I figured you must have been doing something like this because the smoke only function on our FEC-100 still hits 165 and can creep up to 180 if it sits long enough, definitely way too hot for cheese.

Interesting discussion...I've been thinking about getting a pooper too, but I haven't had any experience with them. Right now, I'm leaning to the MAK--there's no dealer around here, but they are advertising free shipping on their webpage.

Interesting discussion...I've been thinking about getting a pooper too, but I haven't had any experience with them. Right now, I'm leaning to the MAK--there's no dealer around here, but they are advertising free shipping on their webpage.

Check bigpoppasmokers.com He's a member here and does a great job.

Here is his vendor area on the Brethren...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

and here is the web site...

http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/default.php

Not sure of the price...but Yoder is coming out with a pellet pooper. Might be worth a look...they are known for their pit quality. CLICK HERE for video...

97a2b539_60052_154249111263283_112715768749951_351114_6303116_n.jpg

Thanks for the link, Ron. I certainly would prefer to do business with someone who's trusted and a member here. (He's got free shipping, too!)

Not sure of the price...but Yoder is coming out with a pellet pooper. Might be worth a look...they are known for their pit quality. CLICK HERE for video...

97a2b539_60052_154249111263283_112715768749951_351114_6303116_n.jpg

I've been looking at the info on the Yoders. they look very interesting. I'm sure that they will be built like tanks.

Traeger and CS

I have been a Traeger dealer for the last two years. I have tested the CS570 this past summer and will be testing the Green MT this spring. Here is my take!

Traeger:
  • Easy to use (think all pellet grill are this way) and put together.
  • Pellet hopper
    • Doesn’t hold a full bag and the hopper.
    • Does not use all the pellets. Will still have pellets in hopper (they get stuck on the sides) and your auger will be empty, thus fire goes out. Just make sure you keep the hopper full and you won’t have an issue.
    • Need to make sure you clean the hopper out at least on a year. Had an issue where the breaker kept popping to find out the pellet dust was like concrete not allowing the auger to rotate. Might happen to the other, but I know clean them every month, so no issues.
  • Digital Controller. In my opinion you must have a digital controller. It is the only way to have consistency when you are cooking. The other controller is an auger on/off time period so it depends on the outside air temperature on how hot your grill will get.
  • Had issues with the “Hot rod” still seeing a few but nothing like last year. If you get a new grill you shouldn’t have any problems.
  • They outsourced there phone service out of Portland. In my opinion the South Dakota people aren’t familiar enough with the grill (reading a card) to be much help.
  • Unit is light weight, so if you live in a cold area the wind and temp does keep the temperature down.
CS570
  • Heavier grill then the Traeger.
  • Can get temp up to 600+ where the hottest I got a Traeger is a little over 500 on the Junior and 475 on the lilt ex, 435 for the texas.
  • Digital controller. Pain in the ass to install, but overall performance is better than the Traeger. You can increase/decrease at 5 degrees (traeger 25). Has a “PRIME” button which will force pellets into the fire box, use this when you are getting ready to open the door.
  • Pellets are dropped into the fire box. This keeps the fire from burning the pellets in the auger.
  • Pellets are feed to fire box every 4 sec for the CS and every 15sec for the Traeger. This means the temp swings are much smaller on the CS then Traeger.
  • Thicker unit means the cold and wind doesn’t effect the temp as much
  • Being heavier make it harder to move and the wheels are not as good a some of the Traeger grills
  • Accessories cost more for the CS then the Traeger.
  • CS are made in Canada where Traeger grills are made in China.
I have plans on testing the Green MT this March.
  • I like the idea they have an insulated blanket.
  • Only have two units to pick from Med and Large.
  • There pellets are Oak based not Alder.
  • They have more headroom in the grill. They are not round.
  • They are made in China.
  • Understand they have a remote control so you can raise/lower the temp without going to the unit.
  • They also have a low pellet alarm
Overall for Alaska the CS would be a better unit then the Traeger. Problem is nobody sells the CS in Alaska. I have looked into becoming a dealer/distributor for the CS grills. The grill cost to dealers depend on how many you order (big difference between 5 and 25 +) Also they are out of Canada and the shipping cost to Alaska would be very high and I am not sure customers would be willing to pay the extra $$$.

Troy

So I really like the Yoder, but cant find anything online that has one for sale. Can these be bought yet??

Thanks RonL Anybody need any info on the MAK or Memphis give us a call on our toll free line 877 828 0727 Thanksagain!

If you're looking to get in between 500 and a grand, I'd give a hard look at the Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone. I had a Traeger and couldn't take the temp swings. The GMG DB that I now have has 1 to 3 degrees of temp swings. It really is amazing. And, the customer support is also amazing. It's well built and well supported. The new digital controller has a remote pellet alarm available, as well as a built in meat temp probe.

The MAK and the FE Pellet Grill are both higher $$ than you are looking to spend, but both are a step above what is out there, in terms of build quality. They are cookers that will hold up over time. I would suspect the Yoder will be built like a tank.

I have not cooked on the newest iteration of the GMG, but the original, and series 2 units were a little unsorted. Having said that, I have seen a couple of the current units that seem to cook really well, and they appear to have fixed some of the things I panned them for. I will likely try to get some cooks in on one and see how they are doing these days.

I am going down and talk to Don about getting a ys640 today. Kinda nice i can go talk to the owner at his store here in Wichita. They look like a tank.

Back