Try my Rub and give feedback!

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I had this for years and cant remember where I got it but I have tweaked it enough that I can call it mine. Have fun and comeback to this thread and give some feedback. Thanks![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 Cup Granulated Sugar (I use baking Splenda now)[/FONT]
Salt in the following increments to total 1 Cup:
1/3 Cup Onion Salt
1/3 Cup Garlic Salt
1/3 Cup Celery Salt
½ Cup Paprika
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Coriander
½ Teaspoon Cayenne

Put everything in a quart size Ziploc bag and shake very well.

Depending on your taste preference, you can change the cayenne with Chipotle, Habanero or Jalapeno. Heat should be 1 teaspoon or less (my recipe is mild so I used only ½.

Printed a copy and will give it a try :thumb:
This is why i love football season,it gives me a chance to try new stuff every weekend.:laugh::laugh:

quick question, when you say chili powder, do you mean ground red chili's or are you talking about the mix of spices used to make a pot of chili (typically includes cumin)?
Just want to use the right one!! :becky:

I'll try it.
I have to make up a bunch of rub for this weekend's cook anyway!
The wife and I invited the whole dang neighborhood over to the house for a "block party". So far we're up to about 35 people. Planning on cooking butts for everyone with snacks.

I was planning on mixing up my usual, but I'll give yours a try! Sounds good.

Thanks Ash!:thumb:

(SAY......how many butts would you say your recipe will do? Looks like about 3-4?)
.....and no BROWN sugar, huh?

Seems heavy on black pepper and needs some cumin. Then I will call it mine !!! HA!!!

Thanks man.

Ash! I thought you were giving your rub away! You mean I have to make it myself?!:drama::becky: Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.:thumb:

I'll try it.
I have to make up a bunch of rub for this weekend's cook anyway!
The wife and I invited the whole dang neighborhood over to the house for a "block party". So far we're up to about 35 people. Planning on cooking butts for everyone with snacks.

I was planning on mixing up my usual, but I'll give yours a try! Sounds good.

Thanks Ash!:thumb:

(SAY......how many butts would you say your recipe will do? Looks like about 3-4?)
.....and no BROWN sugar, huh?

3-4 10+lb butts

@KnucklHed BBQ ground red chili powder and its what you get in the spice isle at the groc store

Should be good on chicken. Mixing it up now and will give a report later on today with pron.

Depending on your taste preference, you can change the cayenne with Chipotle, Habanero or Jalapeno. Heat should be 1 teaspoon or less (my recipe is mild so I used only ½.

Looks like a good recipe, I'll give it a try. I'll just warn everybody to be careful if you switch to Habanero from Cayenne. I've tried to substitute it in a recipe 'one to one', and got blasted with the heat!:flame: Add it last, a little at a time and taste test as you go.

I am in. What could be better on a butt other than some Ash Rub.

To the wife: "No, I said it is ASH rub. ASH!" :laugh:

I am in. What could be better on a butt other than some Ash Rub.

To the wife: "No, I said it is ASH rub. ASH!" :laugh:

To the wife too he did say ASH rub....... Better not search here for Asholes I made them too....:thumb: :shocked: :laugh:

I use Splenda also usually mixed with sugar. Thanks for the post it let us all able to make it our own.

I used this rub on some chicken thighs. I'll rate it as an 8 out of 10. The cinnamon was a deal breaker. That was the first and last thing I tasted. The rub is good but I will omit the cinnamon when I make more. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCN2889.JPG
    DSCN2889.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 35
Glad you liked it! Omitting the Cinnamon is fine and understand some people like it some don't! Cinnamon for some reason has properties that helps people with Diabetes.... (Like me) BTW great pron!

I too have dabbled with cinnamon, and have decided against it from now on. It is a bit overwhelming and distracting from the meat IMHO. +1 to ground cumin, though! Nice recipe, and thanks for posting it!

Not sure if I'll try Splenda, either, as anytime I have anything that contains Splenda (or most other sweeteners) I have a bad taste in my mouth for the next half hour. I think it's just me, though, as I haven't heard of anyone else with that reaction to it.

Back